Connect via WIFI on my 5GHZ Channel

Hi there,

My WDTV Live Streaming Media wont recognize the 5GHZ channel of my Router, only the 2.4 GHZ. The firmware I’m running is 1.15.10. My Router: Asus RT-N66U: 3.0.0.5.354. Is a new unit.

Thanks,

5GHZ is not supported

Yea the SMP won’t do 5Ghz.

THAT’S Propostruos… How can you make a Media Streaming Decive with built in wifi without the support of a 5GHZ Channel, I have been loyal fan to WDTV and WD in general, but lately is one dissapointment after other… Who will make a complete gadget for video and music streaming, I mean, if its not one thing its another, the WDTV great for personal media but lacks all streaming option and channels of the ROKU and the 5GHZ channel, but the Roku wont support streaming directly from the router or a NAS unless you have a Media Server like Plex, thats is a good media server but its not better that the ability that gives you WDTV…

Well I think we will have to wait to see who came up with the ultimate streaming device…

fnanco wrote:

Well I think we will have to wait to see who came up with the ultimate streaming device…

ultimate streaming device = HTPC running XBMC or similiar

Roku 3 which is a recent release or updated “app box” does dual band and supports 5Ghz now. The WDTV SMP and HUB are kind of old now though. The Play device I don’t know since it was from left field and made many scratch their heads. I find it more shocking the lack of GigE considering many folks had it over a decade ago and most folks have it now.  Totally agree they should have refreshed the SMP box instead of releasing the Play version with updated hardware and specs.

I wouldn’t say ultimate just the most economical and adaptable to almost any situation.