Connect Speakers to WD Live TV Streaming

Hello guys.

I have a WD Live TV Streaming, this LG monitor ( http://www.lg.com/sg/it-product/monitor/LG-led-monitor-E2441T-BN.jsp)) and this Logitech Speakers ( http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/ls21-2.1-stereo-speaker)..)

I want to connect my WD Live TV Streaming to the monitor which I already did with a HDMI-DVI cable.

Now, my problem is with the speakers. How can I connect them with the WD Live TV Streaming? Can I simply plug the 1.5mm jack to the composite jack?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Iā€™m not sure exactly which speakers you have but you probably need an adapter like this along with the rca stereo output of the cable included with the WD: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7190&seq=1&format=2

Note that you will have no volume control from the WD remote controlĀ  (will have to control volume directly from speakers).

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

So, do you know which kind of speakers do I have to buy in order to have the volume control from the WD remote control? Which kind of output should the speakers have?

Thanks.

Volume control canā€™t be adjust via the remote from the SMP no matter what you have connected to it.

Hi guys.

I think I didnā€™t explain my problem correctly.

So, I connected my WD TV Live through HDMI to my monitor which has only a DVI input (I have bought an adaptor). But this monitor doesnā€™t have speakers, so I was thinking about connecting some normal PC speakers to the WD TV Live.

I guess that if Iā€™m using the HDMI input to connect the monitor, the sound will not come out through any other input (TV OUT). Am I right?

Can you help me on finding a solution to have sound on my WD TV Live?

Thanks.

If the two speaker is easier to buy an adapter: 3.5mm F - 3,5mm M.
If HDMI is. TV needs to support the conversion of digital audio via the analog output.

Gifty wrote:

Hi guys.

So, I connected my WD TV Live through HDMI to my monitor which has only a DVI input (I have bought an adaptor). But this monitor doesnā€™t have speakers, so I was thinking about connecting some normal PC speakers to the WD TV Live.

I guess that if Iā€™m using the HDMI input to connect the monitor, the sound will not come out through any other input (TV OUT). Am I right?

Thanks.

Doesnā€™t  your pc tower/desktop have a hdmi, if it does you would be better of connecting to that ,then connect usb speakers, or others that connect to the line out or headphone jack of your sound card.

Cheers

@Gifty

I just dug out my old WDTV Live and Hooked it up via HDMI to DVI for my old PC MontiorĀ  (This is for Picture)

Plugged a pair of Stereo Headphones (3.5mm plug) into the WDTV Live (This is for Audio)

Made sure the WDTV Live Audio Settings was set to ā€œSTEREOā€

And whaddya know ā€¦ it works :smiley:

100% Works on the old WDTV Live ā€¦ would be very surprised if it didnt work on the SMPĀ 

If you want to you use External Speakers make sure they are Mains Powered Ones with a Volume Control.

JoeySmyth, thee will be surprised that the SMP does not work.

mini jack 3.5mm_cr.jpg

PS: From the top to down - Video, Left, Right, Ground.

@oldmann777

I wont be able to see the ā€˜pictureā€™ you posted until it gets ā€˜approvedā€™ which may take 24-48 hours

So, i can only assume they changed the ā€˜pin out orderā€™

No biggie, a soldering iron and/orĀ  $2 or $3 spent on a couple of plugs and sockets from an

Electronics Store would easily solve that. :smiley:

I already had 10 ft cable 3 RCA - mini jack.
I had to buy for 5 $ 5 ft cable RCA (F)-RCA (M). So I connected HI FI amp to the SMP.

JoeySmyth wrote:

@oldmann777

I wont be able to see the ā€˜pictureā€™ you posted until it gets ā€˜approvedā€™ which may take 24-48 hours

So, i can only assume they changed the ā€˜pin out orderā€™

No biggie, a soldering iron and/or  $2 or $3 spent on a couple of plugs and sockets from an

Electronics Store would easily solve that. :smiley:

Not been changed. Video is via the tip for the old WDTV Live.

From the WDTV Live FAQ

H) Iā€™ve lost my Component Video cable (Or composite)

You can call WD Tech Support and order a new one, OR you can substitute Composite and Component cables by using the below colors of the other cable.

• YELLOW is the same as GREEN, and is the ā€œTipā€ of the 3.5mm plug.
  • WHITE is the same as BLUE, and is the first ring of the 3.5mm end.
  • RED is the same as RED, and is the second ring.
  • The GROUND of all three RCA plugs is the sleeve of the 3.5mm end.

Gifty wrote:

Hi guys.

Thanks.

As has been said set your output to stereo. Connect to your TV via HDMI. Connect the composite lead that came with your player to your speakers (red to right and white to left - ignore the yellow video). The lead has a ā€˜specialā€™ wiring so unless you are able to make your own lead it is best to connect to your speakers using the WD lead and some adaptors. RCA / Phono female  to 3.5mm adaptor or RCA / Phono female to 3.5mm extension lead or whatever input your amplified speakers need.

If video is via the tip for the old WDTV Live.
In this picture the headphones connected to the old WDTV Live.
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Connect-Speakers-to-WD-Live-TV-Streaming/m-p/421258/highlight/true#M9602
Tip in the headphones is one of the two channels. There will be sound in one ear.
Or have I misunderstood something?