Confused

I dont understand what goes through the minds of the bright sparks that set the pricing for your desktop hd. It seems outrageous that a 1TB hd is $99, 2TB $149, then a 3TB for $270??? my question is have you sold any 3TB hds when for and extra $30 you can buy 2x2TB hd. is ridiculious. its almost the same price as buying 3x1TB hds. what is the piont?? I am this close to not only nevr buying another WD hd but replacing the 4 I already have. more of a rant than a question i know but seriosly **bleep**???

mackdoogs wrote:

what is the piont?? I am this close to not only nevr buying another WD hd but replacing the 4 I already have. 

If you want 3  drives, you have to have 3 slots, 3 SATA ports, 3 power-supply ports, additional power capacity, cooling, etc.

I don’t know where you’re looking or at what model you’re comparing, but none of WD’s drives have the quite the price spread you’re referring to…

The WD Green drives cost $89, $109, and $154 at Amazon.

The WD Reds:   $109, $179, $259 at NewEgg.

So the Cost per Byte is lower for the larger drives. 

have you sold any 3TB hds when for and extra $30 you can buy 2x2TB hd.

It’s not $30 more.    It’s 30 plus the cost of additional power, additional SATA ports, additional space, additional heat (and the additional air conditioning to disipate that heat) etc. etc.  

Along the same lines of  “available capacity” … I JUST purchased a 16TB WDMyCloudEX4.   Took it out of the box.   Plugged it in.    Looked at available capacity and it says 11.4TB.      How in the world did I lose an entire 4TB of drive space???  There are lights bliking on all 4 drive bays.  Is it possible I have a bad drive in the mix and if so, how do I test to find out which one?     Additionally, I have rebooted the device, pulled out all 4 drives and re-seated them.   4 Drives loaded and all green indicator lights on … only 11.8TB available.    NO Data has been moved to the drive.

Kately: it comes out of the box in RAID5 mode. If you want all 16TB, you’ll need to change the mode to JBOD or RAID0.

ban-cheaters wrote:

WHO keeps a receipt months later after the product initially works and You REGISTER the Product and Its’ on file and UNDER WARRANTY ?

I do, i scan / photocopy all purchase receipts and file them away.