Confused by a number of issues with the WDMyCloud 4TB Personal Storage Device - First 2

Have installed a WDMyCloud onto my home Network but have found its raised all sorts of questions.

Very concerned about Security and the lack of any definitive information on security issues. Its marked as a way to keep your files secure and controlled in your own personal cloud, but on a Mac with Yosemite there appears no clear way of fixing permission problems.

I see a user daapd which is clearly being allocated read/write access to all files added to the device and any device cascaded from it (I added a seagate USB 3 portable drive) and this user appeared there.

The permissions on all files appear to be custom and under Yosemite despite all advice from apple there are no options to either remove user daapd or set it access to none. I can only assume this user is an integral part of the hardware, but there is no clarity on what this is as far as I can tell.

Can anyone advise me what this user is and why it needs to be there?

I also note on the WDMyCloud Dashboard software that it reports 5 Cloud devices? What is it detecting to report this. I only have one WDMycloud device?   So what does this mean?  Faulty software? 

Any help or pointers from you more experienced users would be appreciated.

Thanks

David 

You misunderstand how NASes work.

First, “daapd” is the iTunes Server portion of the NAS, and runs as a service there, and thus has a user associated with it, non-root.

Second, you don’t make permission changes on NASes from the Client.   EVER.  All permissions are changed on the NAS by the user interface.

I also note on the WDMyCloud Dashboard software that it reports 5 Cloud devices? What is it detecting to report this. I only have one WDMycloud device?   So what does this mean?  Faulty software? 

Those are mobile devices or PC’s you’ve registered to the mobile access portion of the cloud.

Cheers Tony.

Thats helped me a lot. Im going through a big learning curve window at the moment. Trying to understand a new OS having switched from being a PC user for over 30 years and now using macs as well. This is also my first NAS. Need to get my head around the security aspects of the NAS and how its seen and accessed.

I have no problem with access but just dont want to make mistakes which leaves it unsecured.

So quite a bit of learning to go.  Clearly I need to understand more about how the iTunes Server service operates. Do have any pointers to a good source I can read?

Cheers

David