Computer to WDTV Live to TV - Is it possible

I would like to play the video files on my computer hard drive through to the television.

Is it possible to go computer to WDTV Live to television and not have to deal with an external hard drive?

How about using the LAN connection?

Just to elaborate, that’s what network shares are all about.

With either a wired or wireless connection (as the previous poster states) you then share a folder on your computer and the Live will see the media there.  Not much to it (and it’s the only way I use the Live nowadays – works great!).

Does anyone know how to get the WDTV to update the library when streaming from the computer to WDTV?  I add files and keep restarting my computer, but sometimes it takes DAYS and DAYS for the new files to show up in the directory on the WDTV…How in the world can I watch them instantly?

Not exactly sure what your trying to do but I shall give you an example of what I do.

For example if I have an mkv file on my computer I want to watch, I use my LAN connection from the WDTVLive and browse to access the movie, it plays fine.

If on the other hand I want to copy a movie from my computer to an appropriate folder on an external HD connected to the live  I usually do it through my computer using the LAN connection and “Copy/Paste”  As soon as the movie has been pasted, several minutes using a LAN cable depending on the file size, it appears on the HD and can be played immediately.

Not sure what you mean when you say “streaming”

bmbme wrote:

Does anyone know how to get the WDTV to update the library when streaming from the computer to WDTV?  I add files and keep restarting my computer, but sometimes it takes DAYS and DAYS for the new files to show up in the directory on the WDTV…How in the world can I watch them instantly?

How are you streaming the media? Media server or network shares?

I am streaming through a media server I believe.  The files are located on my computer and networked to the wdtv live.  I have no external hard drive connected.  When I put the files I want to watch in the appropriate folder where all my other files are for the wdtv live, i have to restart my computer many many times for them to recognize, sometimes they still dont even show up for days.  My question is how to update the library (when not using an external hard drive—i know how to do that) so that the new files show up on the wdtv live.

thanks to all for trying to help

I have similar issues like bmbme has described on his post. In my case, I record TV programs on my computer to stream using WDTV live. Sometime recorded programs will show up instantly via WDTV live (5%). Most of the times (95%) thought it wouldn’t show up when choosing “All Recorded programs”. I think I get the message “No media available”.

Already tried power off/on WDTV live and rebooting host computer. It works sometime only though.

bmbme wrote:

I am streaming through a media server I believe.

Don’t use a media server (use network shares).

bmbme wrote:

I am streaming through a media server I believe.  The files are located on my computer and networked to the wdtv live.  I have no external hard drive connected.  When I put the files I want to watch in the appropriate folder where all my other files are for the wdtv live, i have to restart my computer many many times for them to recognize, sometimes they still dont even show up for days.  My question is how to update the library (when not using an external hard drive—i know how to do that) so that the new files show up on the wdtv live.

You will know if you are a media server if you select ‘media server’ on the WDTV menu to gain access to your files. The only other way you can gain access is via ‘network shares’.

If it is a media server that is running on your computer when you need to see how it is set up to scan your files. Obviously if it does not regularly scan your files then it will not see the updates.

Whats the difference between media server and network shares?

A Media server is either a software (likely) or dedicated hardware (more unusual) server that “serves” the media to a variety of output devices.  In the case of the Live it’s a bit redundant, since the Live itself can serve media to your TV via network shares, but it may offer more features than the firmware of the live, albeit at a “cost” of more complication.

You need some kind of server (the Live is a server) because your output device (let’s say HDTV) has no way of interpreting the data that is coming to it (it’s further confusing because a lot of new sets have built-in media servers so you can indeed simply connect a flash or hard drive, or plug them into your network). 

I’ve tried a bunch of software media servers and all the ones I’ve tried have been a PITA.  I have never used one with the Live and don’t intend on doing so, so I can’t speak to performance there.  But network shares (assuming your system is otherwise clean) work a charm with it.

Media Servers are programs like TVersity, Playon, and Windows Media Player that read the files from your system and stream them to he network.

Network Shares are the shared files that can be read by the media servers or by the WD Live The WD live can transcode these fles without the need for a media server.

More confused??

ok based on what oldguy1 posted (and yes I am more confused, lol) i am thinking its a network share.  I have my movies on a shared folder on my computer’s hard drive.  My computer is hardwired into the router, which is also plugged into the wdtv live.  When I am on my wdtv live, i go to Media Servers, select my computer, then select folders and thats where all my media is supposed to be.  Every time I add something new, it can take up to days and many computer and wdtv restarts to show up in the listing.  What I want to do or know, is there a way to force the wdtv to update the listings immediately, because if there is I can’t find it.

If you seledt “Media Server” you’re using a media server, plain and simple.

To use a shared folder you select “VIdeo”, then move to where it says “Network Shares” (NOT media server) and then select your computer.  It will take a few seconds to connect and then it will show you your shared folders.  You select a folder and you’ll see your media in a few seconds. That’s all there is to if (assuming you’re sharing folders).

ok…trying network shares, but everytime i put my account and password in, it is saying invalid, wtf??? anyone know how to fix this?

Turn off password on your network shares (you really don’t need it unless you have people on your network – like relatives in your home – that you don’t want to share stuff with :>).

how do i turn network shares password off?

ok i figured out how to turn the password off, and i am now connected to my computer, but now all my folders are saying no media found.  anyone know how to fix this?

There’s a thread (I think under the Network sub forum) that addresses this (disclaimer: I haven’t read it, as it’s VERY long and so I’m not sure it actually solves the problem, but given the length it’s sure to at least have some possible solutions).