WD My Book Essentials 1TB USB2.0

WD My Book Essentials 500 GB USB 2.0

Computer:

HP Pavilion a530n

AMD Athlon 64, 3200+

2-GB RAM

Windows XP Home Premium SP3

Problem:

While booting up my computer, with the 1TB Essentials drive plugged in, it causes my computer to hang.  It does not do this with the 500GB drive. I’ve tried unplugging the 500 GB drive, so that the 1TB drive is the only external drive plugged in. The computer still hangs and will not boot up. The only way that I can use the drive, is to wait until my computer is past the intial booting (BIOS,) and Windows is loading, then plug the drive in. Once Windows is started, it does recognize the drive, and I can use it without any problems.This has occurred from the time I purchased it.

The drive is reformatted to NTSF, since I use it for storing video files. My entire system is NTSF formatted. What can I do so that I don’t have to unplug the drive each time I need to start my PC? 

Since your drives are not USB powered devices, you can try this workaround. You could buy an inexpensive USB2 hub (with or without a power adaptor) and use it to connect troublesome drive.

Very important: disconnect AC cable and battery (if Notebook) for two minutes before connecting the hub for the first time.

Let us know the outcome.

1 Like

I was thinking that might help. I’ll have to pick one up and see. I do have an old USB 1.0 powered hub, but I know that wouldn’t work for these drives.

Funny thing is, I can plug the 1 TB drive into my Laptop, which runs Vista HP, and I don’t have the hanging.

Thank you…

Did you check the boot order in the BIOS to make sure USB is after hard drive?

Joe

Hello dude just disable the boot from usb option in the bios.

no need to buy anymore  accessories  heres so in instructions

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1201/kw/boot/session/L3RpbWUvMTI5NzYzMjg0My9zaWQvMi1OamZ5bWs%3D

2 Likes

Boot sequence in BIOS may not be the case here. He’s able to boot while other USB drives attached. Please refer to initial msg.

Well that worked. I can now boot up without having to unplug my external drive, until the PC is booted.

Thanks…

Mabkay wrote:

Boot sequence in BIOS may not be the case here. He’s able to boot while other USB drives attached. Please refer to initial msg.

Please refer to my intial message, which BTW, was accepted as a solution…

Lawrance,

I am happy that your method worked for him. Must be something to do with VCD.   :smiley:

1 Like