Complete drive malfunction in last 24 hours

Okay so i bought the 6TB version of the MBL Duo a few months back. It’s sat on it’s own shelf on my TV stand, and connected to an airport extreme, which links to 2 computers and a boxee box.

I’ve never had any problems with it. The only ‘issue’ emails it ever sends me are that an update is available, or network connectivity has gone down due to an ISP box update.

Now i’ve not done anything differently in the last 24hours (infact i’ve not accessed anything on it), and i’ve received the following emails (earliest first) telling me that drive B failed, and then drive A failed shortly after.

Event description: Drive failed in location B

Severity:info

Event code:2201

Event time:08-26-2012 04:00:06 PM

Event time:08-27-2012 12:30:04 AM

Event time:08-27-2012 02:00:06 AM

Event description: The data volume on the drive is not accessible. Please contact customer service.

Severity:crit

Event code:0004

Event time:08-27-2012 03:00:04 AM

Event title: Drive failed

Event description: Drive failed in location A

Event description: The data volume on the drive is not accessible. Please contact customer service.

Severity:crit

Event code:0004

Event time:08-27-2012 04:00:06 PM

What on earth would have caused this?

I’m guessing this means my unit is completely bricked? 

Hmmm.  I’m more inclined to think maybe it’s a host failure more than a dual drive failure.  If it’s a host failure, then swapping both drives into a new chassis will fix it.  If its a dual drive failure that a reboot doesn’t fix, or if you’re running RAID0 and have had EITHER drive fail, your data is gone.

So you recommend restarting the unit and seeing what happens?

I had it set in spanning mode.

It would be highly unlikely, and unfortunate for both drives to fail at once, so i’m hoping it’s not that. 

If the UI is still responding, chances are you can still get to your data via the shares, in which case I would be thinking about doing a backup first…

So when i got home to check the drive, the LED on the front was a solid orange/red colour. The UI wasn’t responding, and the top of the unit was very hot to touch.

I had no choice but to turn it off and take the drives out to let them cool. I didn’t think WD green drives got hot? They were very hot to touch. 

We’ll see what happens when i put them back in and turn the unit on.