Compiling media...and compiling and compiling

I would like to understand why my media hub has to compile endlessly(seemingly) while it holds my device hostage by operating slowly. I really have no need to compile a list every time my device restarts. Seems like tantamount to having a computer which has to scan every bit of data on my hd in order to load the os. How can I disable that or can someone lead me to a media player that’s worth something? I do not use software which is written to use me. I want my media player to do what I want it to do as soon as I want it.

Turn OFF the Media Library in the Settings menu, it’s worthless anyway.

Are you shutting the HUB off or putting it into standby mode? From standby it should start up quickly without recoompiling the media library.

I love the media library function and think it makes the 3.x Firmwares well worth using. I have not had any real issues with startup time even from a complete powerdown, and my media library has local files, 4TBs on a LIVEPlus and and multiple TBs on windows machines. I dont have your answer but the HUB should not be endlessly compiling. As for media server, you need to decide if you need it on or not. A real nice feature if you have media on other computers, NAS or WD boxes.

Good Luck

-P

ptponder wrote:

I would like to understand why my media hub has to compile endlessly(seemingly) while it holds my device hostage by operating slowly. I really have no need to compile a list every time my device restarts. Seems like tantamount to having a computer which has to scan every bit of data on my hd in order to load the os. How can I disable that or can someone lead me to a media player that’s worth something? I do not use software which is written to use me. I want my media player to do what I want it to do as soon as I want it.

Which version of the firmware are you using? In the version 3.xxx firmwares you can go to Setup > System > Media Library > Media Library Manager for Network Share > Set auto scan schedule.

What Media have you added to the Library? Network shares, USB drives, movies? How many files approx is the Media Library scanning?

flhthemi wrote:

I, Pearl and others have a different opinion.  You are entitled to your opinion, but it is only your opinion. Maybe the Media Library is “worthless” to the way you use the Hub. I admit that the Media Library is far from perfect, but the improvements in the version 3.xxx FW means that it actually helps me organize and filter my media. It’s good that everybody can give their opinions on these forums, but they are only opinions. Not arguing with you, just trying to put your comment in perspective.

badmem wrote:

flhthemi wrote:

I, Pearl and others have a different opinion.  You are entitled to your opinion, but it is only your opinion. Maybe the Media Library is “worthless” to the way you use the Hub. I admit that the Media Library is far from perfect, but the improvements in the version 3.xxx FW means that it actually helps me organize and filter my media. It’s good that everybody can give their opinions on these forums, but they are only opinions. Not arguing with you, just trying to put your comment in perspective.

Start reading here, see what Devicious has to say (she’s a themer) and maybe you’ll be enlightened. :slight_smile:

(3rd post in thread)

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-3-04-17-for-WD-TV-Live-Hub-5-7-12/td-p/401891

I have the utmost respect for Devicious and her coding, but that’ not not enlightening, it’s a specifiic issue she is having that she is unhappy about. I have multiple seasons of tv show by subfolder ( TV_Show\TV_Show Season 1 etc) So that issue didn’t effect me at all when I upgraded. As above, I think your usage of the media library (and sucess thereof)  depends on your setup, naming convention for files, and even which tool you use for making XML files.

Without the media library, I’d be constantly having to connect to windows and linnux shares to then go find the directories that I want. With the media library, I can just click on the video icon and have the five directories (folders) right there that contain my video media. Open the movies one, and the jpgs, xml and backdrops for my stuff is already cached and pops right up. Once the added media library for network shares, I never looked back. Great option, at least to try and check out for yourself if you have media on servers around your home and not just on the Hub.  

Just an opinion, and your mileage may vary… 

-P 

Start reading here, see what Devicious has to say (she’s a themer) and maybe you’ll be enlightened. :slight_smile:

(3rd post in thread)

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-3-04-17-for-WD-TV-Live-Hub-5-7-12/td-p/401891