Compilation of Windows 10 Methods, Steps and Solutions

Does your router put your wireless network on a different subnet to the wired network?

As cpt_paranoia indicated check your wireless router settings to see if the router is isolating the wireless network from the wired network either via different IP address subnets or some form of Wireless AP Isolation or wireless guest network isolation.

Windows 10 Specific Method 1 worked a treat for me. Been pulling my hair out for nearly a day so the advice is very much appreciated. Had to reboot twice before it became stable though.

Win 10, Fall Creators Update, Ver 1709, Build 16299.19
New My Cloud Install (EX2 Ultra)

In my case, drive mapping was fine right up to disconnecting a previous map to make a drive 1 folder deeper. Then “poof” My Cloud disappeared from the Network listings, except as “Storage” (which you can’t map to).

After spending a few hours on these offered solutions, and numerous reboots (with no joy I might add), I found another thread that triggered the fix for me.

By just using file explorer to enter the device address (i.e. "\MyCloud\Subdirectory) that showed the drive contents, and then in the attempt to map a drive entering directly as well. That worked flawlessly to get the mapping done without needing to “browse” for the drive (and not finding it in the network computer list)
NOTE: For some reason entering just the “Root” path to the mycloud wouldn’t map. at least one subdirectory/folder level worked fine. (But see below
)

I was Totally happy just having a workaround that allowed the My Cloud to be mapped as a drive, but this time on reboot, not only was the drive mapping fine, but the Network devices showed the drive in “Computers” as well.:joy:

Then root folder access was no problem.

Credit for this one goes to “Stigg” in the thread at:
https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/87424-creators-update-destroyed-network-discovery-wired-lan.html
“Even though they are not visible in Explorer, you still should be able to access network computers by typing: \[Computer Name] into the address bar.”

Yes. You can’t map the entire drive, you have to map shares. This is because shares are the level at which user access control is enforced.

1 Like

Thanks for this. It’s quite an overwhelming amount of technical info!
I do not see the device under Network>Computer on my Windows 10 PC, so there is obviously some sort of bug there (although it was working just a month ago). I have used a friend’s Windows 7 PC which has a port for a network cable. The Mycloud IS visible under Network>Computer from this PC, both through Wifi and with the network cable attached directly. I can open the Mycloud and see only the private folder named Scott. However, this is as far as I get!
Either hardwired or over Wifi, the private folder will not open, and diagnostics ask me if I have spelled the name of the folder correctly!
I’m getting so frustrated with this
 Surely there is something very simple that I need to do and all will be fine, but what??

The only place on Windows 10 that my device appears is under Settings > Bluetooth and Other Devices.

It shows my NAS drive as “not connected”, the only option is to “remove device” is this something I should try in order to try and find the device again?

Generally if one checks the steps in the initial post, in particular Windows 10 Specific Method 1 through Windows 10 Specific Method 5, that will often solve the issue of the My Cloud not being shown in Windows File Explorer or not being seen by Windows.

The other thing to check is the security software on the local PC. It is possible the firewall or security settings are blocking local network devices from being discovered.

Hi,

FYI, I had the same problem as above & ran steps 1 to 5 (incl. static IP) - to no avail.

MyCloud would be “seen” by my router - but wouldn’t seen as a Network in W10 Explorer.
The “Public” part of MyCloud would appear in W10 Explorer as “PC” though.

And then I changed “WD Explorer” to “launch at Windows start-up”
 and it worked

I’m no fan at having that window open upon Windows start-up, though. But if that’s what it takes

Good day to all

Interesting solution. WD support had given up on trying to solve my issue. This was after multiple on-line sessions with support. They really tried but had no resolution. I finally set up my WD drive with static ip addresses and edited all my Win 10 PC’s Host files with the WD ip addresses. and it solved my problems. THIS IS A HORRIBLE SOLUTION but it works. Someone at WD needs to fix this issue.

The only thing I can suggest to to make sure you have [Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP] in the Advanced TCP/IP Settings for your network adapter. Usually this is not necessary but under some situations this simply doesn’t work well under Win10. I use a DHCP assigned IP address (not static) but it is reserved in the gateway router so it behaves as a static IP.

That assumes the problem is with the My Cloud and not with Microsoft Windows.

If one’s router is seeing the My Cloud (issuing it an IP address) and one can see the My Cloud listed as a PC in Microsoft Windows File Explorer that would seem to indicate a problem with Windows rather than the My Cloud.

In addition to the suggestions made in the first post of this discussion, one should also check their firewall/security software. There apparently have been instances reported in other past discussions of third party firewall/security software impacting the ability to access the My Cloud on the local network.

Other troubleshooting steps are to test My Cloud access on another local network PC or device to see if the issue persists. Try connecting to the My Cloud using it’s IP address in Windows File Explorer (example: \\192.168.1.10). Sometimes Windows will have trouble resolving local device names with the local network router.

And reports of recent Win10 updates modifying the existing firewall settings.

I have spent hours trying to figure out where my drive went after moving to Windows 10. I finally found this forum.

Am I supposed to start with the first step, or potential solution, and keep going until it’s resolved?

Since Western Digital and Microsoft both point fingers at each other and will not acknowledge this issue. I suggest starting with the first step and keep a log. After you try one solution if it does not work back it out and then try the next. Sooner or later you will find one that works.

Thank you for all of your contributions
 after all of this I was still unable to see my NAS’ in my computer list.

I am running Win10 Pro on new system. I have run Plex on multiple WD Cloud NAS’s

WD Discovery sees my drives but cannot map them
Same as Win Expl

If you can open your WD Dashboard wait and read below

After trying all of these and more from other forums, I hit the wall
 Reboot after reboot after reboot with each test and win explorer not showing the network and computers in harmony I right clicked on the Network icon in the left window pane and selected “Map Network Drive”.

This worked for me so take it with a grain of salt

Goto WD Dashboard: Settings: General —>You will see the field “Device Name” I copied it (ctrl+c)

Right click the Network Icon in the left plane
Click the “Map Network Drive
”
Select your drive from the drop down

in the folder box type in “\the name you copied from the dashboard\public”
no quoutes and the paste should be self explaining

check “Reconnect at sign-in”

These do not show up as connected computers nor NAS, but as network locations, however Plex can now pick it up as a mapped drive.

Worked for me,
Good Luck,
■■■■ Lowe

1 Like

You should also check the ‘connect using different credentials’ box, and enter your MyCloud username and password, otherwise Windows will not allow you to connect to your private shares; it will not allow mixed credentials for network drives.

Added a General Method 3 with the suggestion cat0w made in the following post.

Spammer :roll_eyes:

1 Like