Compatible with PS3?

I purchased a 500GB WD My Passport yesterday and was at first impressed. However, after a bit of use, I wanted to plug it in to my PS3 (like I would do a USB Stick) and play some files off it. The PS3 wouldn’t even recognise it.

I have installed SmartWare, is this the problem?

If so I’ve uninstalled it and tried to use the VCD Manager. For some reason the VCD Manager won’t recognise my HDD, why is this?

The VCD nay cause a problem on PS3 but to be visible it will need to be reformatted to FAT32 It came formatted NTFS.

Joe

Yeah this Smartware ■■■■ has left a foul taste in my mouth.

It wouldn’t be a problem if you could delete the partition it takes up not just hide it. Now I’ve got a drive that I can’t use to clone my existing 1TB onto as its not really 1TB but 1TB - 700MB or so plus one less partition that I can use :frowning:

Not to mention if I try to plug it into anything other then the PC it causes them to crash or other weird issues.

I’ll be taking this drive back tomorrow and swapping it for a Seagate. Pretty disappointing as I’ve always used WD drives exclusively but not after this fiasco, and especially not after seeing WD flat out refuse to do anything about it to help their (ex) customers and just closing any threads on the issue.

All over some crappy piece of backup software that anyone in their right mind wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole anyway.

Such a shame as they have always made such good drives :frowning:

edit: I’d just like to say sorry for flying off the handle a bit last night, I swapped the drive for a WD Elements 1TB today (Couldn’t bring myself to get a seagate lol) and all is well. Still extremely disappointed over the SmartWare dramas and not advertising the fact that you cant actually use the full terabyte on the hard drive and compatability issues but a lesson has been learnt.

edit 2: the gods have smiled down upon me for remaining faithful! Just pulled the element apart to discover a WD1001FALS (caviar black) hdd inside! I’ve been chasing one of these to raid up with my other one inside my pc! I was wondering why it was getting so **bleep** hot!

I have installed SmartWare, is this the problem?

If so I’ve uninstalled it and tried to use the VCD Manager. For some reason the VCD Manager won’t recognise my HDD, why is this?

I got the same probleme my HDD is formatted FAT32 my ps3 won’t reconize it and the VCD Manager too, What can i do for .?