Compatible hard drives for older HP Pavilion laptop

I was given an older Pavilion laptop dv6810. What options do I have to replace the old 160gb 5400 8mg cashe drive? I would like to install a higher capacity higher speed and larger cashe drive. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Hello,

What is the drive interface on your computer?

is it 1.5Gb/s , 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s?

Sorry, I don’t have any booklet since this was a throw away. I managed to get it running and the only information I can find is the folloing:

2.00 GHZ Turion 64X2 Dual Core Mobile tech.

Invidia GeforceGo 7150M

If this isn’t the info you need, how would I locate it? Thanks!:smiley:

Hello,

I did a search for the HP Pavilion laptop dv6810 specifications and found this:

• Hard Drive160.0 GB HDD / 5400.0 rpm
  • InterfaceSerial ATA-150

This means the interface is 1.5Gb/s.

Based on this information the following models will be compatible:  

These are all WD Blue.

Specifications              Capacity            Interface   RPM  Avg.Seek  Buffer  Adv.Format  
WD1600BEVS 160 GB SATA 1.5 Gb/s 5400 12 ms 8 MB    
WD2000BEVS 200 GB SATA 1.5 Gb/s 5400 12 ms 8 MB    
WD2500BEVS 250 GB SATA 1.5 Gb/s 5400 12 ms 8 MB    

WD1600BEAS 160 GB SATA 1.5 Gb/s 5400 12 ms 2 MB    
WD2000BEAS 200 GB SATA 1.5 Gb/s 5400 12 ms 2 MB    
WD2500BEAS 250 GB SATA 1.5 Gb/s 5400 12 ms 2 MB    
WD5000MPCK 500 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 5400 17 ms 16 MB x

1 Like

Thank you so much. This helps !  I was on the phone with HP tech support and they didn’t seem to know very much and said the max would be the 160 GB drive, 5400rpm, 8mg cashe. I called them later and talked to another tech and he said I can get a bigger drive. I didn’t detect any air of confidence from either one. :smiley:

I was in the process of purchasing a replacement per the reconnebdations given to me prior. I noticed on amazon that they refer to the recomended hard drives as bare hard drives. I’m not sure what they nean by this. Do  they not come in an enclosure? The photos show all of them w/o the cover.

Hi bare drive refers to it as being a OEM drive that would not be in a box with any cables or anything else. It comes in a antistatic bag. Now there are 2 types of OEM drive one would be a drive that was in a prebuilt PC like HP or acer. The other type is what I said just the drive in a antistatic bag. If the drives are OEM and where branded by HP or acer they have no warranty if they came in a PC they would have one year. The non branded ones on the blue drive would have a 2 year warranty.   

I copied and pasted the following from Amazon by a seller. There is no warrenty stated. Would this be a two year warrenty? Thanks!

Western Digital 250 GB Scorpio Blue SATA 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive WD2500BEVS

Hi well is it a new drive or used. Also the only way to tell is by the serial number on the drive or in some cases the firmware version listed on the drive. Sorry I have never bought anything from eBay or that type of place. I prefer the local PC shop. But no reliable shop or store would ever sell branded OEM drive’s so you should be safe in saying it would have a 2 year warranty. Once you get the drive you can go here to check the warranty status. http://support.wd.com/warranty/index_end.asp?lang=en

Thanks for all the info. I recall purchasing a couple of hard drives in the past and so far they’re still running smoothly and had the two year warranty. It’s amazing how much of a price range there is with an identical product from various sellers:smiley: but I have a middle of the range hard drive for about 39.00. Thanks again!:smiley:

I ordered a 250 Gb BEVS and it didn’t fit the connections. I contacted the seller and sent him some photos and was told that I need a PATA and not a SATA drive. Can you confirm this? I was also told that the largest dive they have is an 80 GB drive. Do you know if there is a larger drive made? Thanks!