Combine 2 ssd to one partition?

Hi, ive just purchased a new sn570 as an additional storage to my laptop sn520. I was planning to extend the old sn520. Thus combining the sn570 and sn520 to one partition. But is ot adviseable to do so?. Im afraid if for any reason my older sn520 fail. I will lose all of my data. Please advise. Thanks beforehand

I wouldn’t.

If the partition becomes corrupted then the data potentially on both the old drive and/or new drive is can/could be compromised.

If you want to protect your data … then you should keep a backup of it on a separate hard drive, ideally on an External Hard Drive.

Yes, you can combine 2 SSD to one partition, but before doing that, I prefer you to take full backup incase any of the SSD fail data loss can happen. One can use software also to combine two partitions

You should also know the requirements for SSDs Combination

There are some important prerequisites that you must know before combing your SSD’s regardless of which method you use to combine the drives. First, combining external disks and devices is undoable.

• You can only merge your internal drives and disks.
  • To merge disks, there should be some unallocated space available.
  • If you are looking to increase the C drive space across your drives by combining them, this is impossible.
  • Both SSD drives should be converted from basic to dynamic before you begin merging them.

If you plan to use the system with windows as normal, you will need to check if your laptop offers a RAID 0 option. If it does, then all you will need to do is back up all important data as the setup process will erase all data. You will then set up a RAID 0 storage pool.

Also be sure to download any needed RAID drivers that you can load during the OS install just in case the windows installer doesn’t immediately see your RAID storage.

After that, consider also setting up a NAS (or if you don’t want to do a NAS build at the moment, if your router has a USB port, consider connecting an 8TB external drive to the router and then having the windows backup use the SMB share the router makes as a backup location. While not ideal, it will at least ensure that you have a backup of everything on the laptop, and whenever you are on your home network, your system will automatically back up all new and changed data, and as long as both the RAID and network storage don’t fail at the same exact time, you will have a working backup of your data to help mitigate some of the risk of a RAID 0 setup.