Color palette issues with MKV embedded idx/sub subtitles

Apparently, WDTV Live has problems with the color palette of .idx/.sub (VOBSUB) subtitles embedded into MKV files. This causes some subtitles to show up as transparent which makes is impossible to read them. If the exact same .idx/.sub files are extracted from the MKV the WDTV displays them correctly.

I imagine this should be easy to fix, given that the player already handles the subtitles correctly for external .idx/.sub files.

Yep, that is being discussed in another thread.   So far, no fix, even on the beta firmware.

I guess I’ve been lucky.   I’ve ripped over 300 DVDs and have yet to come across that, but, I don’t examine EVERY file I make, so it may sneak up on me yet…

I’Ve mentioned that from day one and again after some firmware update, not that WD would care. After all, we’re also still stuck with the completely pointless transparent outline for SRT subs.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I guess I’ve been lucky.   I’ve ripped over 300 DVDs and have yet to come across that, but, I don’t examine EVERY file I make, so it may sneak up on me yet…

_ _I guess, that you have no black edge around the subs at most of your movies … I miss that in all my Blurays :frowning: (I can’t use external sub/idx files for BDs, they stutter when their size exceed around 3-4Gb/h)

Cocovanna

Coco, Actually, I HAVE noticed the missing contrast-edges.  It’s VERY annoying when the text color closely matches the background.  I didn’t realize that was related to the transparency issue, but it stands to reason.

These are two separate issues:

1. With idx/sub the LIVE ignores certain colours of the palette which results in missing or wrong colours depending on what palette is used. This was fixed for external files but not internal.

2. Some genius (at WD or more likely Sigma) decided to set an SRT’s outline (usually black so as to make the text stand out from any background color) to transparent.

It’s the PGS subs I am talking about. And it is very annoying when watching bluray, as these normally have very nice subs. (In my country 99% of movies we watch have subs).

Cocovanna