"Cold boot" flashing firmware

I don’t know if this has been suggested or covered before, but I thought that I would post it in case someone was having trouble getting their HUB to update or was having problems and could not get the UI to come up.  This was how to “Cold boot” flash the firmware on one of my other media players (Seagate Freeagent Theater+) with some modifications for the HUB.  I have not tried this, but after suggesting it to someone else in the forum, it does appear to force the HUB into update mode without the need of the UI.

First, download the firmware, then extract it to a USB thumbdrive format as FAT32.  Open the .ver file and change the version # to one higher than the one you already have & then save it & safley uplug it from your PC.  Go to the HUB and unplug the power cord, then plug the thumbdrive in.  Press & hold the rest button, while holding the rest button plug in the power cord.  Once the HUB powers on you can release the rest button.  Now, cross your fingers & pray that the HUB goes into update mode.

As I said, I have not personally tried this, so there are no guarantees this will work if you try it, but if you already have a brick the worst that could possible happen is that  the HUB will not update.  Although, there is always the possibility that it might force it into “Mission Impossible” mode & you will get the message “This device will now self-destruct in 5 seconds!” :smileyvery-happy:

I think if you having a issue with the firmware  before it goes into that mission impossible mode you should replace it.