I am get the following error message and can not update any files on any Shares. is there a reasonable fix for this? I found references back in 2012, but they seem overly complex and require expert unix capabilities.
"Something wrong with the volume’s CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead. Check server messages for details. Switching to read-only…
I am on the latest firmware and just installed the iTunes fix, and running from Windows/XP and Macbook 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
The CNID DBs are database files (specifically .AppleDB files) that a package called Netatalk depends on–Netatalk is what manages connectinng to your My Cloud shares using Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), which is used by your MacBook, but not your Windows machine (which uses some version of SMB). These databases speed up the process of locating/retrieving files when the connection to your shares is over AFP. However, when you’re on your PC–and therefore connected using SMB (a.k.a. Samba), changes you make to files–renaming them, moving them, deleting them, etc.–don’t get immediately reflected in those DBs that netatalk depends on when using AFP. Netatalk will do its best to compensate and correct for those kinds of chages, however, with enough of them, the DBs will be come corrupt and unusable. This is what I think your device is reporting, esp. since you use your Windows and Mac machines interchangeably.
The good news is that those DBs are super easy to rebuild. You would have to enable SSH and be brave enough to enter a few commands, but it’s quite simple to do. You would use the “dbd -f” command to delete the DBs and create fresh ones from scratch for each share. The documentation for our version of netatalk (3.0.x) can be found here: http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/3.0/htmldocs/dbd.1.html.
I assume you want to continue using both machines, and if that’s the case I’d probably just start mounting the shares on the MacBook using SMB, the same protocol as the Windows PC to avoid running into this problem in the future.
Hope this helps. If you want, I can provide specific instructions on how to rebuild the databases. I just did with mine. Entering the commands is super-easy. The time to rebuild depends on size/complexity of the volumes, but for reference my iTunes library of ~40,000 tracks was reindexed using dbd in around half an hour or so. Smaller shares with less (or no) complex databases are much quicker. I’m pretty sure this would solve your problem. Either PM or reply if you want instructions.