Cloud Storage and Ransom Viruses

Do the WDC My Cloud Products come with backup to Cloud Storage in addition rto Backup to My Cloud which is accessible from everywhare?
And does WDC Provide tools to prevent encryption of attached data from Ransomware Class of Virus?

The My Cloud products provide access links to popular cloud service providers, but there is not a WD cloud service.

Funny you should mention ransom ware. Within the past 24 hours this post has created a lot of interest:

If you don’t have a backup, and the files are very important, you can try paying up. No guarantees though, they are criminals after all.

Paying up is a bad idea. …for so many reasons. I have recently gone through a threat assessment for my own set up since I have some files I would hate to lose permanently. You’re best bet against ransom-ware and similar attacks is an offline backup. Someone who gains illicit access to your PC can access any attached/connected device. So keep you backup disconnected on a day-to-day basis and only connect it when you need to be backing up. I am using a large fireproof/waterproof hard drive (google that and you’ll find the device I use.

I plan to connect it to my MyCloudMirror and use the backup on connect setting so that it immediately backs up the MyCloud when the backup drive is connected. I will disconnect it when it is finished so that I am protected against fire/flood/remote attack, pretty much everything except someone breaking in and taking all my equipment.

Alternatively, if you’re comfortable putting your security in someone else’s hands, you can set aside the money you would spend on the hardened drive and invest it. If you ever experience a ransom-ware situation you can then cash in your investment and pay someone to solve the problem. As I understand it (anecdotally) the white hats can fix most if not all of those ransom situations. But this is not advice, my advice is to take control yourself and get a hardened HHD.

Con_M,

I have developed a method that safeguards my data should a ransom virus be launched.

First of all, I create a standard back up of the file server to another REMOTE NAS. Then in the REMOTE NAS I create INTERNAL BACKUPS one for each day or sometimes just two days of the week.

So let’s say someone clicks on the file and launches the virus. This spreads to the File Server (LOCAL NAS) and then before anyone realizes it those encrypted files are backed up to the REMOTE NAS and over write the entire back up with the encrypted files.

I simply Delete the File Server, Delete the INFECTED REMOTE BACKUP and then RESTORE from one of the INTERNAL BACKUPS on the REMOTE NAS.

I also make the REMOTE NAS INTERNAL BACKUPS shares (i.e. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc…) private with no access from the outside.

I am 90% confident in this solution.