Cloning System Drive 2TB MBR -> 3TB GPT don't work

Simple problem, but I simply don’t get it.

Just got a 3TB WD drive and now I want to “clone” my 2 TB drive, operation system WIN 7 64 bit MBR to 3TB GPT.

I used Acronis True Image WD Edition, clone drive, but Acronis says final drive would remain MBR. I cannot find any option to convert GPT. I’ve tested the cloning anyway. The 3 TB drive boots as it should, but as it is MBR the 3TB drive has only 2 TB avialable. But this isn’t want I want to have.

I’ve additionally used Acronis Diskdirector. But I can only clone the source drive MBR (2 TB) to target drive mbr (3 TB drive),

and THEN convert the target drive to GPT, resize the drive to 3 TB, but the drive won’t boot. I say’s MBR error 1.

Shouldn’t it be the other way around, first convert to gpt an then “clone” the drive?

I haven’t testet the backup function of true image. Perhaps backup the 2 TB drive and then restore it on the 3 TB GPT drive?

Any Ideas or programs to convert MBR operating system to GPT operating system, able to boot?

Thanks

Alfred

Hi,

I haven’t testet the backup function of true image. Perhaps backup the 2 TB drive and then restore it on the 3 TB GPT drive?

That wont work to setup the drive as a bootable drive.

I haven’t try that to clone an MBR drive to GPT.

See the following link and try performing a manual clone.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3682/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxOTYxODM0Ni9zaWQvTmN5YkZUYW0%3D