Clone NAS hard drive to SSD

I did try the drag and drop but that didn’t work. In the terminal session, I had the cd set to /mnt from the Linux folder/file screen I selected the v03 file name and dragged it to the terminal screen but nothing happened. Obviously that’s not what you were wanting to teach me?

Note that I’ve posted my script to do the whole process, apart from the tricky bit of copying the file: see earlier.

I’d stick with root. It may be a little risky if you screw up, but you won’t be doing this very often. Just take care, and check carefully that you have typed commands correctly, and you are selecting the right disk every time.
But you’re most of the way through the manual process now, so you may as well continue.

I did see you process posted earlier but thought I was too far into the manual root de-bricking and didn’t want to “change horses in mid-stream”.

No. You don’t drag it to the terminal, you drag (or copy & paste) it to the /mnt folder in the file manager. Just like you would in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.

That’s what I thought to begin with but could never find the /mnt folder anywhere. That’s why I posted several posts back that it seemed that the file manager treats mount points different from folders.

This is all I see in the file manager: (When I OPEN Downloads I see the V03 file)

I’d be tempted to push those little arrow buttons either side of the ‘Home’ in the top bar.

Or try ‘Other Locations’. It’s got to let you get to the file system root (/) somehow.

When I saw “On This Computer” I should have continued there, as that’s where “mnt” shows up and it now contains the V03 file as expected. “Home” does not imply what I thought it did, like c:\ on Windows Explorer.

With the V03 firmware now in /mnt, I’m attempting to move onto Step 11:
Screenshot%20from%202018-08-06%2012-17-57

RATS!!

Now do an ls -la on /mnt

What did I say about ‘No such file or directory’ errors?

Check the spelling of the filename. You have _v3; it should be _v03

You will need to take care not to make typing mistakes/not check very carefully. unix can be very unforgiving of typos.

It may be safer for you to copy and paste each line from the instructions, if you can’t type or check them properly.

The thing is that it was a copy/paste from many posts back. ■■■■ has been wrong for a long time. So yes, I have to check everything as I can’t even trust that!

Okay, ready for Step 13. Question: Should I substitute “SSD” in place of “hdd” in the mkdir?

Screenshot%20from%202018-08-06%2013-32-45

No. It is nothing to do with the type of physical device you are using. It’s a directory the system looks for when booting.

Windows not recognizing the un-bricked SSD as MyCloud. MAC address does not show up on NetGear attached devices, only the pre-existing WD NAS. (plenty of time for the SSD to boot… like 15 or 20 minutes)

Maybe if I boot up debian again it might see the sdx?

Linux via lsblk DOES not see either my “production” NAS MyCloud nor the ssd I/we just laboriously de-bricked. It only sees the debian hdd, the two optical drives and the 3TB WD MyBook USB. (Same using the debian Disk utility.)

You have connected the MyCloud PCB to the SSD, plugged in power & ethernet cable, right…? i.e. you’ve re-built the MyCloud?

What are the LEDs doing?

Have you done a 4-second reset?

I’d suggest starting again:

• remove all partitions from SSD (with parted)
  • reboot linux
  • run my script

The LED on the MyCloud Ethernet port are flashing erratically as one would expect with signal activity but neither Linux or Windows “Network” can see the drive. What’s really strange to me is that Linux does not show my other NAS MyCloud.

What’s that?

Must be the little button adjacent to the USB port?

Okay. I looked it up and executed the 4 second reset. There didn’t seem to be any visible changes in either the Ethernet LEDs or the blue device LED.

Linux reboot changed nothing… still no NAS devices

I’ll be back Wednesday AM for another go at this using your script… unless, of course, Wierd_w knows what the problem might be:grin:

The LED indicator on the front of the unit (should be blue when working correctly, flashes red when angry, etc…) is the only stock option for diagnosing boot problems.

There is a 4 wire TTL serial interface baked into the mycloud’s motherboard that is super-useful, but I will not be telling you to solder the needed header pins on. If you want to, and dont mind the hassle/risk, go ahead, but otherwise-- naw.

Most issues can be ironed out with just the diagnostic tricolor LED in the front. Like Capt_Paranoia asked, what color(s) is the front panel LED?

Activity LED on the ethernet port will happen even in the boot loader-- or at least it does on my Gen2.

If your LED is blue, then all is probably well with the MyCloud

Check your router; if you haven’t set fixed IP addresses, it has probably assigned different IP addresses. You will need to get your computers to use the new addresses. Reboot router, or use the new IP address directly (rather than device name).