Clicking sound and only 6 month warranty

I purchased 4 x 6TB WD Black in Aug 2016 to use in a Synology NAS as a RAID 5 array. A couple of days ago, the whole NAS stopped functioning as one of the drives started clicking. Removing the faulty drive restored access to the NAS which is now running without redundancy.

When I checked the warranty status, I noticed that WD provided only a 6 month warranty as the drive was sold as a refurbished one. I’m really disappointed with that policy and starting to suspect that these drives could have been defective from the start. Questions:

a) Is there any way to get a replacement from WD?
b) Should I go for more reliable drives like the Hitachi HE8 or HE10 series for the NAS?

I’ve moved from Seagate to WD, but this month I’ve had a WD Red NAS and WD Black fail in two different RAID arrays (both were powered from a UPS and surge protector).

Of all the brands I’ve used, Hitachi has been the one without failures so far. Since WD’s acquisition of HGST though, I’m now getting worried about HGST’s reliability, especially since recently there has been a batch of defective HGST hitting the market.

Hello,

WD will honor the warranty. If you still within warranty they will replace it without issues.