Click on Video -> Media and nothing happens

Hi everyone,

just picked up a WD Live and when I click on Video → Media server or Network nothing happens. I’m currently running PS3 Media Server. The WD firmware has been updated and I don’t know what else to try. It doesn’t even see my network shares.

Thanks in advance!

In order for VIDEO->NETWORK to show anything, you must have a NAS or Server with “shared” SMB or CIFS volumes (a/k/a WIndows Shares).

In order for VIDEO->MEDIA SERVERS to show, the media server must be running UPnP or DLNA.    I don’t have a PS3, so I didn’t know it could be a Media Server.   I thought it was only a DLNA CLIENT. 

You’ll need to give us some more details.  How are you connecting?  What does it say when you go to “Check Connection”?  What are you sharing other than your PS3? (And what operating system on those devices?)

TonyPh12345 wrote:

In order for VIDEO->NETWORK to show anything, you must have a NAS or Server with “shared” SMB or CIFS volumes (a/k/a WIndows Shares).

In order for VIDEO->MEDIA SERVERS to show, the media server must be running UPnP or DLNA.    I don’t have a PS3, so I didn’t know it could be a Media Server.   I thought it was only a DLNA CLIENT. 

PS3 Media Server, like TVersity, is a Windows-based media server software.  Despite the name, it happily streams to a number of DLNA compliant devices (not just PS3).  It should work fine if it’s set up correctly but I prefer TVersity; didn’t have much luck with PS3 Media Server.

BigFish :  Are you able to connect to YouTube / Pandora?  Just want to establish what level of connectivity you have to your router.  Like Mike says, does the Live ‘pass’ the check connection test?  

Settings > Network setting > Check Connection

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

Network connectivity has been validated and is 100% (wired). It’s already upgraded the firmware via the network/Internet.

PS3Media server is like TVersity. But like I mentioned, when I click on Network shares or Media Plaer nothing really happens. But when I click on YouTube it works fine.

Try

resetting the WDTV by pressing the side reset button for a second with the unit on.

reset to factory defaults using internal menu

unplug the unit from the power and leave for some minutes (not seconds)

Do all 3 one after the other before using the unit.

It may or may not help but it will not do any harm and its sometimes needed after updating your firmware.

And we do know such things as Windows Live ID assistant will block net shares, so make sure you don’t have that on your machine.