Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

No, my device is still bricked. I am trying the restore process every couple of days without luck. Pinging @Fox_exe here, do you have any idea what is happening here? The device doesn’t seem to requesting a IP anymore…

Time to crack the device open and remove the HDD?

Edit: Device is booting up fine again. I have a USB plugged into it which is now required to boot. There is nothing on it but I will investigate…

Hi Everyone,

@Fox_exe Thanks for the constant support. About early last year I was able to install DSM on my Gen1 4TB MyCloud, thanks to your guides and support. Was wondering if you or anyone has found a way to switch over to OMV without losing the data? Would really appreciate the help.

And just a side question, does anyone know how to diagnose problems with a WD RED harddrive? Its a 2TB that spins up fine but does not register on any laptop, Linux, Windows or MacOS.

@Fox_exe
Hi,
I’m trying to install OMV3 on my GEN1.
I followed straight through your guides and installed first debian jessie and tried than to install OVM but I always end up with dependences.
Has someone an idea how to fix this issue ?
Thanks.

root@MyCloud:~# cat /etc/debian_version
root@MyCloud:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
deb Index of /public erasmus main
root@MyCloud:~# apt-get install openmediavault
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
openmediavault : Depends: php5-fpm but it is not installable
Depends: php5-cgi but it is not installable
Depends: php5-cli (>= 5.6) but it is not installable
Depends: php5-pam but it is not going to be installed
Depends: openssh-blacklist-extra but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

EDIT: After the 5th time reinstalling jessie, I found a solution for the named issues above.
For everyone facing the same issues: after you installed jessi first change the source list. In my case in the source list (/etc/apt/source.list) were only sources for stable, which is currentlly debian stretch. So I deleted all sources for stable and included one for debian jessie (deb Index of /debian jessie main contrib non-free
). Than I followed the guide of Fox (thank you for your effort) and had at the end a working OMV3.

2 Likes

Spanish Version:

Saludos @Fox_exe, muchísimas gracias por el gran aporte que hiciste. Por otro lado te comento que ya logré instalar el DSM V5.2 en my WDMyCloud Gen1. Sin embargo encontré algunos problemas y me gustaría instalar el DSM V6. El problema es que cuando fui a ver las instrucciones de instalación, me encontré con que solo hay un archivo sin extension “uImage_and_uRamdisk” y otro archivo de texto llamado “_info.txt” que solo dice “Need test with UART.” y no dice como instalar el Firmware. Estoy muy desilusionado al haber escogido WD como la marca de mi primer NAS; lo única esperanza que me queda es poder instalar Sygnolofy DSM V6 en my NAS, ya que definitiva y desafortunadamente me di cuenta (tarde) que es lo mejor en NAS comenzando por su sistema operativo. Por favor agradezco me colabores diciéndome los pasos y comandos que debo seguir o hacer para poder instalarlo correctamente; he tratado de averiguar leyendo en media internet pero no encuentro ni siquiera el primer paso estoy perdido con esto (Eres el único en el mudo que ha portado este firmware), por favor necesito de tu ayuda lo mas pronto posible. Te agradezco de antemano. Buen Dia !!

English Version:

Greetings @Fox_exe, thank you very much for the great contribution you made. On the other hand I commented that I managed to install the DSM v 5.2 in my WDMyCloud Gen1. However I found some problems and I would like to install the DSM V6. The problem is that when I went to see the installation instructions, I found that there is only one file without extension “uImage and URamdisk” and another text file called “info .txt” that only says “Need test with UART.” And does not say how to install the Firmware. I am very disappointed to have chosen WD as the brand of my first NAS; The only hope I have is to be able to install Sygnolofy DSM V6 on my Nas, as definitive and unfortunately I realized (late) that is the best in NAS starting with its operating system. Please thank me for collaborating telling me the steps and commands I must follow or do to install correctly; I tried to find out reading in Internet media but I can not even find the first step I’m lost with this (you’re the only one in the mute who has ported this firmware), please i need your help as soon as possible. I thank you in advance. Nice day!!

Russian Version: (Please do not answer me in Russian)

Приветствую @Fox_exe, большое спасибо за большой вклад, который вы сделали. С другой стороны, я прокомментировал, что мне удалось установить DSM V5.2 в моем WDMyCloud Gen1. Однако я столкнулся с некоторыми проблемами, и я хотел бы установить DSM V6. Проблема в том, что когда я пошел посмотреть инструкции по установке, я обнаружил, что есть только один файл без расширения «uImage_and_uRamdisk» и еще один текстовый файл с именем «_info.txt», который говорит только «Необходимость теста с UART». и не говорит, как установить прошивку. Я очень разочарован тем, что выбрал WD как бренд своего первого NAS; единственная надежда, которую я оставил, - это установить Sygnolofy DSM V6 на моем NAS, поскольку я определенно и, к сожалению, понял (поздно), что это лучшая вещь в NAS, начиная с ее операционной системы. Пожалуйста, благодарите меня за сотрудничество, сообщив мне шаги и команды, которые я должен соблюдать или делать для правильной установки; Я пытался узнать, как читать в Интернете, но я не могу найти даже первый шаг, который я потерял с этим (вы единственный в тупике, который портировал эту прошивку), пожалуйста, мне нужна ваша помощь как можно скорее. Я благодарю вас заранее. Добрый день!

Privetstvuyu @Fox_exe, bol’shoye spasibo za bol’shoy vklad, kotoryy vy sdelali. S drugoy storony, ya prokommentiroval, chto mne udalos’ ustanovit’ DSM V5.2 v moyem WDMyCloud Gen1. Odnako ya stolknulsya s nekotorymi problemami, i ya khotel by ustanovit’ DSM V6. Problema v tom, chto kogda ya poshel posmotret’ instruktsii po ustanovke, ya obnaruzhil, chto yest’ tol’ko odin fayl bez rasshireniya «uImage_and_uRamdisk» i yeshche odin tekstovyy fayl s imenem «_info.txt», kotoryy govorit tol’ko «Neobkhodimost’ testa s UART». i ne govorit, kak ustanovit’ proshivku. YA ochen’ razocharovan tem, chto vybral WD kak brend svoyego pervogo NAS; yedinstvennaya nadezhda, kotoruyu ya ostavil, - eto ustanovit’ Sygnolofy DSM V6 na moyem NAS, poskol’ku ya opredelenno i, k sozhaleniyu, ponyal (pozdno), chto eto luchshaya veshch’ v NAS, nachinaya s yeye operatsionnoy sistemy. Pozhaluysta, blagodarite menya za sotrudnichestvo, soobshchiv mne shagi i komandy, kotoryye ya dolzhen soblyudat’ ili delat’ dlya pravil’noy ustanovki; YA pytalsya uznat’, kak chitat’ v Internete, no ya ne mogu nayti dazhe pervyy shag, kotoryy ya poteryal s etim (vy yedinstvennyy v tupike, kotoryy portiroval etu proshivku), pozhaluysta, mne nuzhna vasha pomoshch’ kak mozhno skoreye. YA blagodaryu vas zaraneye. Dobryy den’!

@Fox_exe

I must be a n00b but I cannot understand what I need to to.
I have a Gen1 WD MyCloud

I downloaded all the files: (complete Gen1 folder from your Google Drive)
I want to have OMV with Clean Debian installed.

So I copy and paste the files in AUTOInstall.zip to my Public directory.
next I copy and paste the config.img from the OpenMediaVault folder to my public folder.
next I copy all files from the Debian English zip file and than ■■■■ hits the fan. Do I overwrite the files? which install.sh do I keep? the one with small i or the one with the Captital I?

I do not under stand step 2 and 3:
2. Download archive with firmware (Backup, OMV, CleanDebian)
ALL of them? As a lot of files are duplicate, so which ones do I overwrite?
3. Unpack and copy all to one folder in NAS (For example - to “Public” share)
so all files in the Public root , no folders? back to step 2, what files do I Overwrite

Thanks

@Possemaster

You have to unpack just one of the files you want to install (content of autoinstall.zip and e.g.CleanDebian-Jessie.tgz) when you want to role back WD ofw u take one of the backup files. When unpacked in Public folder you can run the install.sh

cd /DataVolume/shares/Public
chmod +x install.sh
./install.sh

For OMV either take one of the images + Auto install.zip or install over clean Debian . I tried to install OVM3 which is for Jessie and followed the guide in “Install latest OMV…txt” after installing Clean Debian Jessie. (Skip step 6 or edit run_me_after_reboot.sh and remove “apt-get upgrade” or it will upgrade jessie to Debian stretch). But at the end of the guide where Omv is supposed to be installed I end up with several dependencies (see post 1404) I can not solve. When u go the same way, please report if you get the same issues.

@Fox_exe
Neither can I install OpenMediaVault in my WDMyCloud Gen 1, you give me a hand please? I used “CleanDebian64k.tar.gz” and “CleanDebian-Jessie.tgz” and it did not work with any. The version of the Kernel is “3.2.68”. I am grateful for the attention.
This is the output of the console:

root@WDMyCloud:/# apt-get install openmediavault
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
openmediavault : Depends: php5-fpm but it is not installable
Depends: php5-cgi but it is not installable
Depends: php5-cli (>= 5.6) but it is not installable
Depends: php5-pam but it is not going to be installed
Depends: openssh-blacklist-extra but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
root@WDMyCloud:/#

1 Like

Anyone upgraded their GEN1 device from Debian Jessie to Stretch? Is it safe?

This does not work because it breaks all of the original WD software packages and finally does not update.

If you mean CleanDebian - yes, its possible. Safe? Not sure.
Possible problem: Kernel dependencies (Modules). I think latest kernel (3.2.68) have all, what we need, but not sure.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. Will stay on Clean Debian (Jessie) just to be on the safe side. I was just thinking how long I can get by with updating this system. Will the OS be outdated at some point or can we run it “forever” or until the HDD dies.

Depends what you mean by ‘this system’; if you mean the stock MyCloud, using WD firmware, then, in theory, until the HDD dies; it’s an appliance, using embedded Linux to implement it. How much upgrade support you get in terms of security patches, bug fixes, etc, is up to WD. Their record on security patches isn’t great. Neither is their continuing to support original advertised features of the device (e.g. the removal of remote mapping).

If you install another operating system, and some other NAS or cloud access software, then you are reliant on upgrades to whatever NAS and cloud access functions you have chosen to use, and whether someone is prepared to continue to build newer releases of the operating system as they are released. That’s the risk you take when using open source software; the people who maintain the code can lose interest in their project, or run out of time, or, for one of any number of reasons, decide to stop supporting their previous efforts. And I don’t mean that in any accusatory way; that’s just (their) life, and they can choose to do with it whatever they wish.

1 Like

After running Debian for two years i did a dist-upgrade today. Went without errors, but after reboot i do not have access. Seems MyCloud is not booting properly, no green light, no LAN connection (so no ssh)

What can i do?

Got it working again (used recovery method tftp), but have to do a complete new setup of debian.

@Fox_exe

Is there any possibility to increase the transfer speed of MyGen1 with OMV3? Currently I get ~25MB/s when transferring files to windows. For comparison my Diskstation 216+ runs with ~100MB/s, so my network should be fine.

@Fox_exe
I try to install debian using this tutorial http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/Debian/_howto_en.txt but folder “/boot/boot” does not exist and the command “parted” not work (-sh: parted: not found).

Is possible install debian in My Cloud DL2100?
My Cloud DL2100 (Intel(R) Atom™ CPU C2350@1.74GHz) is GEN2?

Nope. Intel Atom = Desktop CPU, so you can install any OS, include Windows (Or XPEnology).
But need console installer and UART access, or “blind” install directly to HDD.

@Fox_exe
But how I can install linux OS (like debian)?

Well, I’m sure there are builds of Debian for an Atom; it’s a very common processor for low-end platforms such as notebooks.

Your problem may be in finding the appropriate drivers in a non-PC architecture (the MyCloud may not be modelled on a pc, therefore standard Linux drivers may not work).

Hi, @Fox_exe, I installed your Firmware, in my Mycloud Gen1, works perfect, thanks for your whork.
My intention is to turn it into a small web and mail server , for this I would be interested in activating the IPTABLES, you would know how to recompile the kernel, to activate it, or installing a version of the kernel, it would already be activated?, the installed version is 3.2.26(CleanDebian.English) from here.
I would appreciate any guidance on this, thank you in advance.