Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Check PFE module: Is it load correctly? (pfe,ko = network driver for gen1 devices)

I compiled a stretch arm from my cloud directly, which fixed the problem of pointing to the right folder.
But, new problem in syslog, “Failed to set invocation ID on control group”, this function is supported by systemd only from kernel 3.12 :

[quote]Sorry, we do not support such old kernels with system 232. See README. The minimum required kernel version is 3.12.
Your old kernel does not support xattrs on cgroupfs, simply because it is too old.
Sorry if htat’s disappointing.[/quote]

So I think we can sit on stretch, unless wd updates the kernel, but for an old machine like wdmycloud gen1, we can leave on esperance zero :slight_smile:

Syslog after upgrade from Jessie : Jun 19 17:17:16 MyCloud systemd-modules-load[444]: Inserted module 'ocf' Jun... - 515cdd37
Services do not start.

Gen1 newer got updates.
Gen2 and other - have different CPU (Marvell Armada 3xx) and have support in mainline kernel. In most cases all what we need - correct DTB (dts) file. (And i make few for 3.2.x kernel. But i cant run latest 4.x kernel… idk why… :cry:)

Thanks for the hint, I just noticed Florian_Hahner had the compiled gen2 kernel available in post #1265. I replaced the uImage in /boot, and ACL works like a charm! Managing permissions is much easier now!

Really hope DSM would work for gen2 myclouds…

What do I have to do to perform an update or a complete reinstallation on my GEN2?

At the moment I still use the debian for gen2 from fox …
But would gladly update/use the version from florian …

Only I’m not sure what I have to do with the kernel.config / uimage and uramdisk.
Because the how-to from fox for a clean-install doesn´t help further or pased.
Or did I really have to make everything new and save the data from sda2…

so how can i changed from fox to florian :wink:

Do not need any more help, I still managed.

Hello together
i have installed a fresh Debian on my WD Mycloud GEN2 now.
I cant detect any USB device.
I did Install USB Tools to check with lsusb, but i only get an error:
unable to initialize libusb: -99
i Allready did get an hint to add to /etc/fstab these line:
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

But didnt work ;-(

Update kernel. Use this: Kernel and modules v2 (just unpack to rootfs and reboot)

Hello thanks a lot.
it did work for:
root@openmediavault:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lsusb -t
Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=orion-ehci/1p, 480M

But it dowsnt detect my connected USB Hardisk will not be listed as sdb
Thanks
Br.
Christian

Could you explain how.

Now it becames really Strange.
I left the usb drive connected and it cames up after more than 30 minutes.

After rebbot it wasnt detected again ;-(

Also i couldnt mount it becasue of error message.

just copy the files from archive to /root/boot on sda3

use the how_to.txt for debian as base

# Prepare new firmware:
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/root
tar xvf /mnt/data/rootfs-jessie.tar.xz -C /mnt/root
mkdir -p /mnt/root/boot
cp /mnt/data/uImage /mnt/root/boot/uImage
cp /mnt/data/uRamdisk /mnt/root/boot/uRamdisk
umount /mnt/root

So all 3 Files are in : root@mycloud:/boot and must be overwritten

but i can not change the hardware clock/time when i used the files from florian.

No matter what I tried or changed, after each reboot I did again:
Thu Jan 1 01:09:47 CET 1970

Hwclock doesn´t work:
root@mycloud-8tb:/boot# hwclock --debug
hwclock from util-linux 2.25.2
hwclock: cannot open /dev/rtc: No such file or directory
No usable clock interface found.
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

And on apt-get update sometimes it shows runlevel errors/problems :frowning:

So i didn´t know if this Versions Works finally on every WD Cloud Drives :frowning:

RTC present in Gen2, but dont have battery (And no any pinouts for connect it), so RTC is useless.
Use “fake-hwclock” app instead.

Help. I did a big mistake.
I have changed the network configuration. Because I only did have 10 mbit/s.
I have changed the advanced settings. Now my network didn’t came up again…
Is possible to boot by USB and change settings manual via telnet? Where it the file for network setting stored?
Thanks a lot.
Br.

I have already installed Fake-hwclock but I just do not know how or what I have to adjust so the hardware clock after the reboot remains current system time.

Date and time I have already set with “date --set”

And you can still reply to my private message;) Thx…

You find the Settings under /etc/network/interfaces or you used directly
“nano /etc/networks/interfaces”

Ist ist possible to boot from USB and use telnet or do i need to dismount?

Good Evening.

ok i did try to use the usb stick but it seams it has the higher priority on HDD.
So no i dismount und Mount SDA3 and changed Network Settings Manual. Now is running again.

Hi all,
I am planning to install debian-jessie on my GEN2 mycloud. I have few questions though.

• There is no parted, provided on new GEN2 ( or am I missing something?). Has anyone installed debian using gdisk?
  • I would like to keep my data. Is it possible to keep /dev/sda2 as it is while installing debian?

EDIT: Successfully installed Debian-Jessie on my GEN2 mycloud, keeping all my data, as I did not remove /dev/sda2, which means my /dev/sda3 is little larger (about 6.5GB). To answer another question parted is provided by uimage/uramdisk which is used to boot the device before actually installing debian.

I did update/upgrade debian and installed minidlna & transmission, all working great. No samba, using only sshfs. Feeling much happy with clean new system.

Is there any thread for Debian users on mycloud??
Have anyone tried “apt-get dist-upgrade”, is it safe to run??