Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Do you need a lot of space for your photos?
The easiest for you would be to host your images and mount your personal cloud on a remote server with a fast connection. It all depends on the place you need, here it starts at 1.99 € excl VAT / month 20 GB SSD.
https://www.firstheberg.com/en/vps-kvm-ssd-windows-linux
It is cheap, but you have to install everything, configure, secure, the hard drive is empty at delivery :wink:
I know a very good site for beginners (in French) so that you can put your cloud easily in place. That would be the best solution for you.
Locally, you will always be limited by your connection.

News: Reuploaded kernel for Debian. Now - with worked USB port!

Kudos! Link?
Would you also share instructions on how to update?

Isn’t the kernel on a specific partition of its own?
I am asking because I had nothing under /boot before I unpacked the files, I rebooted but still on the old kernel.
I initially used the “autoinstall” package to get into clean debian.

Emm… Sorry. My mistake: New kernel - for Gen2 device (Marvell Armada 375 CPU / SoC).
Gen1 still have 3.2.68 and no upgrade plans in future.

Nope. Barebox (U-boot v2 / Alpha) just use boot script from partition #7 (“u-boot env”, binary data) and boot kernel from partition #5. (You can edit this script for boot kernel from p.5 and ramdisk from p.6. Both partitions - just binary data uploaded via dd tool)

Kernel sources - only from WD. + Mine upgrade to 3.2.68

Upgrade to stretch is possible?
I did the test, but can not connect to ssh after a reboot.

Theoretically.
Maybe something changed in module load options (We need load pfe.ko for network. I have problems with that while testing some things)
Maybe need different kernel options.
In any case - need uart console for see what wrong.

I had had the same worries when trying to upgrade from wheezy to jessie with the wdmycloud.
What it would take is to recreate an image from a minimal version of strech.
I managed to create the rootfs part, but I do not know how to point the system on the kernel and everything else.
I found some info here, but it’s not enough :
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45419

So i installed the Debain App on my gen 2 mycloud and then restarted. Now the blue LED is flashing for like 2 Days and i can’t access the WEB GUI because it tells me that the System is still starting.

Somehow i can still access twonky server but not over Network dEvice in Windows.

I tried to unbrick it but didn’t work. Is there a way to competelty format the HDD over SSH.

I already followed Fox’ unbricking guide and updated the Firmware but it still just flashed blue for me.

[quote]I had had the same worries when trying to upgrade from wheezy to jessie with the wdmycloud.
What it would take is to recreate an image from a minimal version of strech.
I managed to create the rootfs part, but I do not know how to point the system on the kernel and everything else.
I found some info here, but it’s not enough :
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=454193[/quote]

The idea would be to just copy the minimal version of strech rootfs on / dev / md1 in my case, do not touch anything else.
But what I miss is how to link the boot, the kernel, which files to add ?
Is it possible ?

Read this: Anionix.ddns.net / Custom OS howto

• Note: For gen2 need different instruction!
1 Like

Thank you very much, I was missing in the documentation, I test it tonight, thank you again!

Device: My Cloud Gen2

Hi all,
Any Clean Debian + OMV users could use the ACL function? I got ‘operation not supported’ error every time when changing the permissions of share folders via ACL.
I followed fox’s guide to install OMV. I commented out the sda2 line in /etc/fstab, mounted it in OMV interface.
I did not run the command omv-initsystem after install, would it make a difference? Or is there a switch hidden somewhere?
OMV noob here.
Thanks a lot.

Maybe need different kernel (With “*_POSIX_ACL=Y” options). Try to replace kernel to latest (3.2.68).

• Short howto: Unpack archive, copy lib folder to rootfs (cp -R lib/ /), upload kernel: dd if=uImage of=/dev/sdb5 and reboot.

#Debian Stretch MyCloudGen1

I encounter this problem when I do a depmod :

depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/4.9.0-3-amd64: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory

I use the kernel : http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Developing/Linux-3.2.68-bin.tar.gz

I can not point to 3.2.68 dir.

I managed to get it started by renaming the folder to “4.9.0-3-amd64”, here is what I have in the syslog:

The amd64 bit suggests that you have installed some module that is built for, or you are trying to build a module for an amd64 architecture. Which the MyCloud isn’t.

What are you trying to do that runs depmod?

http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Developing/Howto%20-%20New%20kernel%20and%20system.txt

I would like to create a minimal system from debian stretch for wdmycloud gen1.
I used depthmod in the chroot from the tutorial above.
But I guess there are differences between wheezy and debian stretch.

Have you set the target processor architecture properly? It sounds like it’s trying to build for amd64, but you want armhf.

Good question, I tried with this tutorial too, without success.

Are you running the build on an AMD -powered PC…?

No, I’m on a pc intel. I have to forget something, I turn under strech x64, and it is the kernel of my system that is taken into account.