Hello, am here in the forum also a new User.
I come from Germany so that is why my English is extremely bad.
But I hope it is understandable enough.
And also i´m a totally N00b with Linux / Debian.
I have a WD My Cloud 8TB GEN2 and a GEN1 6TB.
Now my questions / problems to the:
Installed is Debian Jessie incl. OMV Erasmus 3.0.69 + OMV Extras.
Kernel "Linux 3.10.70+"
1 -> After entering:
1. Root @ wdmc: ~ # apt-cache search Linux-image
2. Linux-headers-3.16.0-4-armmp - Header files for Linux 3.16.0-4-armmp
3. Linux-headers-3.16.0-4-armmp-lpae - Header files for Linux 3.16.0-4-armmp-lpae
4. Linux-image-3.16.0-4-armmp - Linux 3.16 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs
5. Linux-image-3.16.0-4-armmp-lpae - Linux 3.16 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs supporting LPAE
6. Linux-image-armmp - Linux for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs (meta-package)
7. Linux-image-armmp-lpae - Linux for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs supporting LPAE (meta-package)
8. Linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.2-armmp - Header files for Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.2-armmp
9. Linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.2-armmp-lpae - Header files for Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.2-armmp-lpae
10. Linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.2-armmp-lpae-unsigned - Linux 4.9 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs supporting LPAE
11. Linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.2-armmp-unsigned - Linux 4.9 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs
12. Linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.2-armmp - Linux 4.9 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs (signed)
13. Linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.2-armmp-lpae - Linux 4.9 for ARMv7 multiplatform compatible SoCs supporting LPAE (signed)
14, Root @ wdmc: ~ #
Now the question whether I can make an update and which image I must use? Armmp or armmp-lpae or?
Both for the kernel and for the backport.
2 -> Samba
Since I have already read a lot about Samba.
For me runs 4.2.14 Debian.
Is there any better or faster Option for the WD?
Anything that i must update?
Or any settings I should change in some Files?
With all the contributions here, you unfortunately lose the overview which is now best. Since this is all new for me would be a howto helpful;)
3 -> LED
After the installation of Debian and OMV I have seen that my LED is green but also shines every 10-15 seconds it flahes in Orange.
Is this an installation error or just a setting thing?
I have tested the lines from the _info.txt but it have the effect that the LED now flashes green / orange.
Can I fix it somehow?
To WD GEN1:
Installed is Debian including OMV Stone Burner 2.2.13
Kernel Linux 3.2.26
1 -> Kernel
Can I update the Kernels like the same Way in GEN2?
And if yes armmp or armmp-lpae or with image?
2 -> Samba
Installed is Samba 3.6.6
What exactly do I have to do now to make Samba better or faster?
Simply everything here in this Readme?
Or there are any files I have to be edited?
Which and how?
I know that are quite many questions but I can not find the right answers anywhere and Google could not help. So I hope now that you can explain to me in detail what I have to do. I would like to thank everyone who can help me.
Thx a Lot