Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

We will drop the formatting for now. Run this command will uninstall and purge OMV :

apt-get --purge remove openmediavault nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list Replace "erasmus" in place "kralizec" deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main apt-get update apt-get install openmediavault -y omv-initsystem reboot
Test this method already, it’s possible that this is enough :slight_smile:

Thanks pal. I’ll start all over again with stock fw and report if had any issues.

Tried all over from first installing stock fw, upgrade to fw4, clean debian and as posted above by Tony.

1. update & upgrade: 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded
    as instructed, GPG and public key error not available msg

2. openmediavault-keyring
    again, as expected error on keyring. E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes

so I removed the y switch and tried again.

1. install openmediavault

This time I input without y switch. 3/4 prompts eg encoding etc. After that a very long process…wait…wait…wait…still scrolling txt…wait…“got result success”…wait…wtf more txt…Finally a last prompt to run next step

1. omv-initsystem

No errors and I know it’s been success.

1. Reboot

2. Finally to OMV gui :clap:

Many thanks Tony for your help.

Edit: forgot to add that I broke the last tab when removing HD :slight_smile:

I installed dsm6 to my mc gen2 4TB. after 12hours , When I login to ds file, “You are not authorized to use this service” message is displayed and can’t login. And dsm manager web ui is not working properly. Maybe synology block invalid user. How can i solve this problem?

Once i have strange glitch - few system libs was “damaged” (Replaced first 1600 byte of header in each file):

/usr/lib/libfileindex.so
/usr/lib/libsynopkg.so
/usr/lib/libsynoshare.so
/usr/lib/libsynostoragemgmt.so

After restoring these files all glitches was gone, dsm works properly again.
Note: You can find these files in firmware (.pat) file - Inside hda1.tgz archive. (Use tar for extract both files).

1 Like

Thank you. Fox_exe
After restoring 4 files and reboot, Dsm manager working again.
But after 12 hours, Dsm manager was not working properly again.

I have one more question.
I enabled hdd hibernation log, but i can’t see hdd woke up log.
And i saw so many “system/system_status_get.c:39 SYNOIO_GET_SYS_STATUS fail” error log in /var/log/messages
Maybe hdd hibernation is not working because of “SYNOIO_GET_SYS_STATUS fail”.
Have you seen hdd woke up log?

which file do i need to download from archive with firmware (Backup, OMV, CleanDebian) ?

Depends what you want. Clean debian or OMV?

Hi buddy,

I’m trying to install DSM and having problem with recovery method. As I’ve got HD already out of WD case, want to try with HD replacement method.

1. Format and partition HD
  2. make partition 1 & 3 as ext3
  3. mkdir 2 directory hdd1 + hdd3 and mount partition 1 & 3 on them
  4. chown both hdd1 & hdd3
  5. change dir to USB drive where I’ll have 3 DSM files???

[quote]edit path info
cd /media/sf_Storage/DSM/
tar xvfz dsm-rootfs.tgz -C /tmp/hdd1
dd if=dsm-kernel.img of=/dev/sdb4
dd if=dsm-bootconfig.env of=/dev/sdb7 [/quote]

is it the correct method?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, you followed this method?

Clean HDD Install

parted /dev/sdb

mkpart primary 1M 2048M
mkpart primary 2048M 3072M
mkpart primary 3140M -2M
mkpart primary 3072M 3106M
mkpart primary 3106M 3134M
mkpart primary 3134M 3136M
mkpart primary 3136M 3138M
mkpart primary 3138M 3140M
q
mkswap /dev/sdb2
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb3
mkdir /tmp/hdd1
mkdir /tmp/hdd3
mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/hdd1
mount /dev/sdb3 /tmp/hdd3
cd /tmp/hdd3
**edit user/group info**
chown -R (your user):root /tmp/hdd3
chown -R (your user):root /tmp/hdd1
**edit path info**
cd (folder path DSM5 files)
dd if=dsm-bootconfig.env of=/dev/sdb7
cd /
umount /tmp/hdd1
umount /tmp/hdd3
sync
Connect to WDMC
Done!

I like to try as having problem with tftp. What I want is copy 3 DSM files to USB & connect HD to computer. I’ve already tried by mounting USB. Tar and dd went ok without any errors but failed to boot. Just to confirm:
edit path info
(if my usb is /dev/sdd1)
cd /dev/sdd1
tar & dd?.

dsm-bootconfig.env, dsm-kernel.img, dsm-rootfs.tgz available on your USB key, yes, copy all files on hdd

cd /dev/sdd1
dd if=dsm-bootconfig.env of=/dev/sdb7

1 Like

thanks. Will try tomorrow. Out of curiosity, what’re you using OMV or DSM? which one you recommend. I messed up OMV with share folders and priviledges :rage:

Frankly, if dms5 was coupled with debian, I would have stayed on dsm5.But I prefer to return to debian + omv (debian see only), alot more flexible for what I want to do, and began omv is updated regularly, not dsm5.All depends on your needs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks man. You’ve been very helpful. I’ll give it a one more shot and will do some googling on shares + priviledge workings.

i have installed omv_2.0.2_Test.tar.gz on my Gen 1 and everything went smooth. did all the update and changed system from RU to EN. and when i looked at the LED light on the drive it’s white. is that normal ?

is there a way i can master reset or i there is a fast way i can reinstall omv ?

also is config.img needed when installing OMV ?

If you have access to omv interface, is that it’s good :slight_smile:
Of repositories are available, needs more of these files “omv_2.0.2_Test.tar.gz”
If you want the latest version (omv3 erasmus), install clean debian jessie and following this tutorial :

echo “deb Index of /public erasmus main” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
echo “127.0.1.1 MyCloud.localdomain MyCloud” >> /etc/hosts
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix apt-transport-https

apt-get update
apt-get install openmediavault
omv-initsystem
reboot

Images are available here to return to the basic firmware, the easiest and fastest, must unmount the drive :

Another interesting thing to avoid reinstall everything, make a backup of the sytem (from the SSH) :

dd if=/dev/sda of=/DataVolume/shares/Public/mycloud.img bs=1M count=5000

1 Like

Good to know thanks. So it makes back up of Jessie + OMV with all plugins which is my current system?

Yes, normally no problem, but personally I would advise you free backup plugins and then reinstall them.
OMV is capricious at times, I prefer to have a basic backup precaution.

I installed synology for wdmycloud gen 1, and have some problems:
-File copy speed over samba slow, just 20-30MB/s (tried samba v3,and v4) compared original wdmycloud speed, what is 80-100MB/s

• When I copy many files from wdmycloud, then after a while (10-15min) connection break, then I click the try again button in Windows, and after 3-4 try copying continues.
  • I installed tvheadend plugin from http://syno.dierkse.nl/, but I cannot enter tvheadend webuit at 9981 port, because ask me login/pass, but not accept what I gave at installing this plugin. The old one tvheadend from synocommunity I can enter, but not recognise my dvb-t sticks (supported by synology, and built in from kernel 2)

Possible fix this faults, or better to change to OMV?