Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Hi @Fox_exe,
I have a mycloud and was preparing myself to put DSM5 on it following your instructions. I have downloaded the required files from your google drive but cannot understand the below:

STEP 1

Download Recovery package and follow steps from “BOOT TO RECOVERY” to step 8 (telnet access)

Or use “Boot recovery from HDD” method if first not work.

Can you advise from where can i get the recovery package for MyCloud?

Hi @Fox_exe, I was able to install DSM in MyCloud. I wanted to ask you or anyone here, is is possible to change the default mount options , i need to enable journaling quota, i made changed in fstab and after reboot it resets back to default options. I need to know from which script is it defaulting the fstab file, so that i can add my parameters there.

Google for it. DSM unmodified.
Smething like this: Set a Quota on Your Synology NAS to Keep Space from Filling Up | Lifehacker

Hi @Fox_exe,
After using your packages to install DSM on mycloud, user quota and group quota doesn’t work from SSH or GUI. So, I tried deleting the partition and recreating it again, the quotas work fine on the new volume but after restart, it doesn’t boot, so i connected the HDD to debian livecd and saw the partition table, it created sda3 as ext4 and deleted all other partitions (4-8). I changed defaultfs and systemfs to “ext3” in synoinfo.conf file, deleted and created the partition again from GUI, it created a ext3 partition but again after restart, it doesn’t boot, again because it is also deleting 4-8 partitions and sda4 has the kernel image and sda7 boot config.
i tried enabling user/group quotas from SSH but they don’t work, it only works if we delete the volume and create it again from the GUI.
Any help on how to enable quotas for user and groups because this is the only reason I;m shifting to DSM from Mycloud as mycloud doesn’t support quotas from SSH too.
Thanks.

For Quota support - need build kernel module (GPL Soure code available on WD website) + software from debian (Or build from source).

I can’t support future development for WDMC Gen1 (I dont have it anymore). I can provide basic help.
If someone have UART and can continue my research (dev) - i can provide many help information. But im Russian. Its hard to speack engish for me.

hi all,hi fox_exe
i have wdmc 2to gen2 (non mirror), and i want to install dsm6;
i have found on fox_exe google drive how to but i want to know:
if i install dsm6 i loose all on the drive?
if i can recovery the original wd os?(for the warrantly)
if it is stable(because this in in dev section)
thx

• Yes, while installing - HDD will formatted.
  • Yes, read instructions about “Unbricking”.
  • Not tested. But boot’s OK, Samba, FTP, SSH works.

Hello @Fox_exe , thanks for your awesome work!
I think about installing Debian on my MyCloud 3TB version. Just a few questions:

1. Will the HDD be formatted during the installation?
  2. Can I install OMV afterwards in a simly way? (Just like apt-get install)
  3. Do you know if encyption like eCryptfs works with it?

Thanks again!

Thank you @Fox_exe for your great work!

I just managed to get rid of the raid1 and doubled the size of position 1 to 4 GB:

#remove partition 2 from raid:
mdadm /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sda2
mdadm /dev/md1 --remove /dev/sda2

#Now I used parted to remove partition 1 and 2 and create one big 4096 MB partition. You could use fdisk instead. In fact you don't delete the partitions itself, you just modify the partition table.

#I rebooted at that point, maybe not necessary:
reboot

#Make the raid use the whole partition:
mdadm --grow /dev/md1 --size max

#Resize the file system:
resize2fs /dev/md1

That’s it. Technically you still have a raid 1 configuration but it is missing 1 partition so there is no space wasted.

2 mdraid’s used for upgrade/switch firmware.

Split one raid to 2
Upload new firmware to 2nd raid
Reboot and boot from 2nd raid
Delete 1st raid, extend 2nd raid to this empty space.

And yeah - you can change partition sizes. Only partition number matter (7 - for config. All other important data can be changed in this config or in OS (fstab))

And one more question: Can I get Owncloud working with the clean debian? I think taht would be the best combination: Debian, OwnCloud and OMV together :slight_smile:

OwnCloud can be installed from OMV (omv-extras.org addons).

That’s great news. When I intsall Clean Debian from you with your Autoinstaller:
Will the HDD be formatted during the installation? And can I install OMV afterwards in a simly way?

Not in version 3 (Erasmus), may be later ??

Otherwise, there is this very good tutorial to install it manually, adapted according to your configuration.

http://teanazar.com/2015/04/owncloud-on-wdmycloud-v4-firmwares/            (or v3)

Hi Fox_exe

Can I install this firmware to My Cloud EX4?

I followed your tutorial so far :

[code]#remove partition 2 from raid :
mdadm /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sda2
mdadm /dev/md1 --remove /dev/sda2

#Now I used parted to remove partition 1 and 2 and create one big 4096 MB partition. You could use fdisk instead. In fact you don’t delete the partitions itself, you just modify the partition table.

#I rebooted at that point, maybe not necessary:
reboot[/code]

but impossible to restart wd my cloud, I see that he considers that the md0 files, he must miss md1 file to boot properly, how to solve this problem, I do not see anything at all either in / dev / root by booting a live CD. Thank you in advance.

Could you detail the command lines to achieve this? it’d be really nice of you.

Edit : root@MyCloud:~# mdadm /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sda2 mdadm: set device faulty failed for /dev/sda2: Device or resource busy root@MyCloud:~# mdadm --manage --set-faulty /dev/md1 /dev/sda2 mdadm: set device faulty failed for /dev/sda2: Device or resource busy

I stop not to seek the solution, but impossible to switch to defective. Help me :wink:

Fox_exe: thanks a lot for a build of DSM and updating the manual! It’s up and running on my test hardware now, after the original HDD has crashed.

Could anyone confirm, please, if the drive is spinning down with DSM5 on WDMyCloud? With my old 2.5" WD Scorpio Blue 320GB it is not.

Could also anyone confirm if this setup is able to utilize 6TB hard drives or is it limited to 4TB?

For DSM - Up to 8 (Maybe more - search on synology website. DS114 = WDMC Gen2)
About speendown - Need little change synobios for support this feature. I make it later (Maybe)…

Actually I have Gen1 with MindSpeed Comcerto CPU, so firmware from DS414j is used as basis. Original DS414j supports 4x6TB.

Could you give hints where to dig in the synobios and what kind of change should be done (more or less)? Is this the small zip package on your repository? It looks actually like some dummy functions which do nothing. Could you describe how to compile the sources afterwards (I would need a complete configured toolchain)? I would like to play around.