Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Justin, thanks for your comment but the MyCloud Mirror has different hardware (Dual core cpu, raid, etc. ) so the installation from fox will not work (correctly) on my Mirror.

I’m still looking for some alternative to the default firmware since busybox is just to limited for me. So I was hoping there is some armhf distro with extensive hardware support. If I could get it to recognize all the internals like raid, cpu and eth interface I think I would be able to configure the rest myself via SSH.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Try this chroot: WD MyCloud Gen2 Chroot (+ Transmission and Minidlna)
Its not alternative firmware, but provide normal Debian, where you can install anything you want.

hello fox,
was the clean debian base on stock kernel(3.2.26) or any newer version?
just curious, because docker need >=3.10 and i wanna try it on my cloud.

Source code available on WD site.
On my Google drive you can find kernel v3.2.68 (And patch/diff files if you vant upgrade kernel source to newer version)

Hello Fox_exe,
I installed DSM, you instructions were very clear and easy to follow, thanks a lot!
One note- I installed the “recovery from HDD” method, and found that there were no need to mess with the TFTP server- I could simply load the images with wget.
I have a couple of questions regarding DSM
A USB HD stays uninitialized-is this what you mean by disk management not working?
HD hibernation doesn’t seem to work- I tried to debug it, found no hibernation related messages in /var/log/messages. I noticed that this file is filled by messages:

external_redundant_power_support.c:25 Fail to open synobios.
system_status_get.c:33 open sybios fail

I guess the software is looking for the genuine Synology hardware.
The copy speed over SMB was so-so- about 20-25 MB/s.

Yeah, synobios not present (Because we dont have that chip).
I make DSM “Just for fun”, so not all functios work correctly.

To me already it bothered to be picked alone (Besides at me not enough necessary knowledge) so further development of the project won’t be.

1 Like

Too bad, the software is very functional. I can probably figure out how to filter those messages in syslog-ng, but not much else. Do you continue working on any Mycloud projects or you are finished with all of them?

I’ll do my best, but i can’t continue it alone.

I’m almost finally out, but I wanted to know something? FW custom installs only on the hard drive or it modifies the system’s motherboard WDMC?
In any case, thank you alot for it’s tutorials, Debian is running like clockwork.
One last thing, OMV is compatible with debian jessie? I have dependency problems when I want to install …
Thanks again.

Porting an OS is a lot of work, I wish I could help, but it is way beyond my level of expertise with Linux.

I wanted to install Debian and encountered this:

iMyCloud> ./install.sh
-ash: ./install.sh: Permission denied
MyCloud> chmod +x install.sh
MyCloud> ./install.sh
-ash: ./install.sh: not found
MyCloud> ls
Autoinstall.zip config_md0.img kernel.img rootfs.txt
CleanDebian-Jessie.tgz config_md1.img rootfs.img run_me_after_reboot.sh
config.img install.sh rootfs.md5
MyCloud> pwd
/volume1/install
MyCloud> /volume1/install/install.sh
-ash: /volume1/install/install.sh: not found

What is going on?

/volume1 ?
Don’t try change fw from DSM5. Autoinstall only for official firmware and CleanOS / OMV.

Well, I have a problem now. I tried to restore by recreating the original partition table and go through recovery, but I can’t delete all the existing partitions.

MyCloud> fdisk -l
fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can’t use all of them

Disk /dev/sda: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255040 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 267349 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 267350 2147483647+ ee EFI GPT
MyCloud> mount
/dev/root on / type ext3 (defaults)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (0)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (gid=4,mode=620)
/tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (0)
/run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (0)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (0)
MyCloud> parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 3.1
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type ‘help’ to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
print
Model: ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68W (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 4001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 2048MB 2047MB ext3 primary
2 2048MB 3072MB 1024MB linux-swap(v1) primary

(parted) rm 1
rm 1
Error: Partition /dev/sda1 is being used. You must unmount it before you modify
it with Parted.
(parted) rm 2
rm 2
Error: Partition /dev/sda2 is being used. You must unmount it before you modify
it with Parted.
(parted)

mdadm --stop /dev/md*

Thanks, but it is too late unfortunately. My ssh session was disconnected, and because I erased all other partitions, I can’t connect anymore. Looks like my only choice is to take the disk out and do the recovery from a Linux box.

You can use “Recovery” method (w/o opening, but need 1gbps network and Windows PC)

Fox, you are the man! It didn’t work right away because my partition table was messed up, but I managed to restore the factory image. Almost- Web UI showed 0 available capacity. I started the full restore, I hope it will fix the problem. I wanted to recover straight to Debian, but all your images have separate config_md files for each raid partition instead of a single config.img, so I decided to go factory first.
Wanted to buy you a beer, but Yandex is not accepting my credit cards and Paypal refuses to send money to your email address.

Thanks a lot for your work and your uploaded files!

I have installed clean debian and now i’m thinking about the samba-upgrade to v4. I’m not sure if i will be able to install it, but im optimism. (i’m Linux-Newbee)
Can you advise to upgrade samba? Is samba4 with our/my Hard-/Software Buggy or stable?

I have read/write-Speed by 12MBytes/s with samba3. Its OK, but more speed → more fun.

Thank you,
Giuseppe

12? Seems like 100mbit/s link limit. Use 1gig network interface for better performance (Samba 3 w/o optimizations can get up to 25MByte/s / ~300Mbit/s)

Hey Fox_exe, my PC is a Surface Pro1 with 802.11n connection. Theoretic it has a limit by 150 but my Fritzbox shows that im using mimo with a max speed of 300mbit/s (approx 35MByte/s)
I cannot connect with ethernet. My FireTVBox is connected via 802.11ac and mimo (fritzbox shows: 866mbit/s). Im configuring mycloud for samba, then i will compare amazon-box with my pc. Afterward, i will know the bottleneck.

EDIT:
I tested the speed with smb and ftp. I have used my htc one (ftp), my amazon box (smb and ftp) and my ms-surface (smb and ftp). My max speed was everytime approx 12-13MByte/s. I have tested only with wifi. GBit-Lan is activated on my fritzbox 7490, and the box shows mycloud with a Gbit-Picture.
Is there something in debian/omv-configuration which limits the speed up to 100mbit? I doubt its a coincidence… otherwise i have to check my fritzbox :frowning:
(the router is located right next to me)