Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Hello, Thanks an Fox_exe for the great Work. 

I have question to understand the first Post.

What schould happend if i do all the hings in the first Spoiler Tab? 

1. Download dump and Autoinstall.zip
  2. Unzip all files in one folder - in "Public" for example.
  3. In web gui turn on SSH access
  4. Download PuTTY For Windows and run it.
  5. Use user name "root" and password "welc0me" (by default)
  6. Change directory to directory where you extract files (Public for example) and run install.sh:
    cd /DataVolume/shares/Public
    chmod +x install.sh
    ./install.sh
  7. After ~10 minutes device automatically reboot (Don't close PuTTY until he lost connection!)
  8. Optional: Connect to SSH again and run "/run_me_after_reboot.sh" (include slash) for fixes and tuning.
  9. Login to webgui using IP address or its name http://mycloud/
  10. User/password: For ssh: root/mycloud, for webgui: admin/mycloud (or admin/openmediavault if you drop settings to default from webgui)

I copied the Files on my Box. Run install. Somethings happens, no Erros appear in the time the ssh connection is not closed.

Then the box reboots. 

After reboot theres still the dashboard an the ssh login is still “root” and “welc0me”.

I thougt the scripts install omv ?

thanks 

uagde

Hi everyone!

I installed OMV ages ago on my WD my cloud and never used it… what happens if now I press the reset button on the unit?

Did anyone start writing a Wiki or all the major info are in the first post of the topic?

Did anyone check the Rockstor project, which is a linux home-nas on a btrfs filesystem?

Many thanks to all the contributors

1 Like
  1. If you press reset button - nothing happend. OMV not used that stuff.
  2. I have many materials about this device. If you need something (And you speak Russian) - i try to answer. Some useful info available in my Google.Drive.
  3. BTRFS: Yes, you can run it, but you cant get speedup or similar (Low resources - 2corex650MHz CPU and 256MB ram)

kaosrq wrote:

To fix this, re-install Debian clean and then upgrade to OMV, it worked perfectly, after a few hours, try to connect again, but do not have access from the web interface, either by ssh. When checking my router I realize that does not take the IP address that is reserved, reboot a few times and the lights go white and in less than a minute remaining in solid green.

Try the TFTP recovery without success, there is a way to perform the method of recovery 1 without losing data?

someone who can help me with this? not seem to be bricked but I have no way to enter, because not taking ip

Hi there everybody,

First of all ,excuse me if there is some spelling mistake or you do not understand something, english is not my mother tongue.

I have purchased a WD My Cloud 2TB, very cheap, but I am very dissapointed. I have tried to make something with the official firmware, but it is impossible to access from outside of my local network to a protected folder (with password).

My last hope is this thread and try OMV (I have used it a little bit in a Raspberry Pi, is very easy to make it work and friendly). I see Fox_exe is making a port of DSM (they say Synology is even better but, the hardware is too expensive). Here my questions:

1. Once you install Clean Debian and OMV, I guess you lose all the WD Software. ¿Is there a way to come back to factory settings? I ask just in case I need to the 2 year warranty that I have.

2. When you install OMV it looks you do not lose data, only system files. ¿Does it happens the same with DSM? I ask because in a week I am going to be in vacation, and I am not going to make changes in my device for 20-30 days. In case you lose your data intalling DSM, maybe I should better wait and install it in september.

¿What would you recommend me to do? Sorry if it is already answered, but the thread is so long, that I could not read completly.

Thank you,
Nice job Fox_exe, it looks great!

1. Yes, you can rewert to original firmware (Also you can use “Unbrick instructions” for that)
  2. For install DSM need repart HDD. So - you loose all data on HDD. But yes - posible to save data (Need change partition number from 4 to 3 and resize and reformat other partitions. Its long way, but its possible.
  3. DSM 5.2 stable, but have few bugs. I upload fixed and updated version soon.
  4. OMV stable. Works good. Clean Debian same.

Thank you for your prompt response :).

I am reading the installation instructions for DSM. To repart HDD I need to disassemble the WDMC and take the HDD apart from the case. In this case I lose the warranty. Do you think would be possible to install DSM without opening it?

If not, I think I am going to use OMV by now, and later I would try DSM, when my WDMC gets older.

Yes, possible, but need add parted to my “recovery software” bootimage. I do it later.

Thanks again, is good to know it.

In this case I think I will be patient and wait for stable DSM.

+1 for stable DSM here also :slight_smile:

Does DSM have all the additional packages available as armhf?  If so, it would be amazing to have stable DSM on the mycloud.  Having everything in the one, nice interface, instead of multiple different packages, all with their own ports to open, would be something special.  I look forward to the stable version, and might I suggest you set the boot partition with room to spare so we can install all the extras we want? :slight_smile:

@Fox_exe, Thank you for your great job. I have installed the DSM on mycloud step by step by your instructions ,but when I connect to mycloud via webgui ,it’s said that “No Hard Disk on Mycloud”.What is the problem ? How to fix it ? Thanks.

I forgot change sda3 to sda2 (Swap partition). So data volume not available (Not disk found).

I fix it soon.

trying to revert to original wd firmware but have an issue.

chmod: невозможно получить доступ к «install.sh»: Нет такого файла или каталога

and i am unable to find the share directory

-bash: cd: /DataVolume/shares/Public: Нет такого файла или каталога

which is where my firmware file and script is located.

please help? many thanks

FIX. search for Public Directory

find . -type d | grep Public

Succesful restore to official WD firmaware backup. once restored a factory only reset is required to restore shares and users. take 30 mins of a flashing white led. but it works!

Thank you for this great work, Fox_exe.

I was able to follow the steps in the DSM 5 procedure, until the recovery part. When I run Start_Ping, the computer says “Packet.dll is missing” and I cannot go further and I cannot figure out how I can install the packet.dll.

May I know if this process can be done on Linux or Mac? Or it can only be done on Windows? My main machine is a Mac and I can easily boot into Ubuntu Live USB, but I have to borrow a Windows machine to do that everytime.

Thanks again for a great work.

Yes, all used software is open-source, so available on Linux and, possible, in MAC.

I think about add “linux” package for that.

About missing dll’s: Install Microsoft Visual C Redistribute package and all from _software folder in arhive.

Thanks for your reply.

That’ll be great to have a linux package. The Windows method gives me another .dll missing problem even after I installed the softwares.

Is it the only way to do it by tftp method? Can I just do it directly with the drive connected by SATA?

Thanks for any advice.

“Recovery package” used only for one thing: Changing boot scripts (I cant find how to recreate sda7/sda8)

Later i will add a Parted package is will allow to repart HDD from recovery (And, possible, automate all installation process)

Thank you. This is great work!

Hi.

I’ve tried out to install DSM on my Mycloud.

Step1 works - no problem (As far as I can tell).

Step2: I have the dll-problem. I have installed the _software (also as admin), but the dll could not be found. My probably wrong resolution: I’ve copied the missing dll from other applications on my computer to the recovery dir. Now I can run the batches, but I think nothing happens.

When I put the DSM-box in my network, it gets an IP, but WebGui is not reachable, Telnet and ssh are refused.

Will it help to copy bootscripts manually when SATA-connected to Linux-box?

Nevertheless: Fox! Great work! I wish I could do something like that rudimentary.

Thanks for any hints!