Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Again, thanks a lot for the help!

pradeepzn wrote:

Great work Fox_exe and thanks for the guide. Since I have no linux knowledge I used the auto installation guide. After the installation I cannot access dev/sda4. I cannot see the partitions when i use fdisk. But can see it with sfdisk.

What should I do further? Please help. I dont need any raid functionality, I just want to install Minidlna and logitech media server on my device.

fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on ‘/dev/sda’! The util fdisk doesn’t support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364801 cylinders, total 5860533168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 4294967295 2147483647+ ee GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/md0: 2047 MB, 2047803392 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 499952 cylinders, total 3999616 sectors

Disk /dev/md0 doesn’t contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/md1: 2047 MB, 2047803392 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 499952 cylinders, total 3999616 sectors

Disk /dev/md1 doesn’t contain a valid partition table

sfdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on ‘/dev/sda’! The util sfdisk doesn’t support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 364801 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 0+ 267349- 267350- 2147483647+ ee GPT
start: (c,h,s) expected (0,0,2) found (0,0,1)
/dev/sda2 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda3 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty

Disk /dev/md0: 499952 cylinders, 2 heads, 4 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 1076830729 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/md0: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

Disk /dev/md1: 499952 cylinders, 2 heads, 4 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 1076830729 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/md1: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

I also get this when typing “fdisk -l”. Is this normal?

I also get “swapon: /dev/sda3: swapon failed: Device or resource busy” at the end of run_me_after_reboot.sh command.

Why is this?

fdisk/sfdisk dont understand GPT tables. Use Parted!!!

“swapon error” - is normal. I fix it later. Nothing iportant.

1 Like

Hi there, thanks for this fantastic guide! Finally the Mycloud is usable…

I got CleanDebian with Plex running using the Cubox-i guide.

However, Plex wont scan or access my folders?

This is the folder where I have some movies just to test it: /data/shares/Public/Shared Videos/Filmer

But when I point Plex in that direction nothing happens. I read something about chroot binds, but I’m unsure how to do this. Any ideas? :slight_smile:

Oh I figured it out my self. The bind looks something like this when it’s done:

/data/shares/Public/Shared\040Videos/Filmer /data/chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Filmer none bind 0 0

Probably not the best way but at least Plex is working fine…

Thanks to everyone contributing here and a big thanks to the Fox for making this possible :slight_smile:

/Draken

Draken,

That is the best way to do it and how my Plex shares are set up.

Not had any type of freeze for close to a week now :slight_smile:

Runnning MongoDB, CouchPotato, Plex+DNLA, Transmission and developing with PHP built-in server and grunt task runner+server.   It can get a bit stressed at times,  especially when Plex is indexing or CouchPotato is doing something,  but it’s handling everything nicely.    Load average is 4.7, 4.7, 4.6.

Finally the box has become usable! 

@Fox_exe - Regarding the loss of md0 → md127.   It appears that this happens when I do a apt-get dist-upgrade to jessie.   Any known problems with that?

1 Like

Precisely, it is just a matter of cloning the examples in the guideand create one or more additional bind mount points inside the chroot dir pointing to the real location of media files. Just be careful not to mess /etc/fstab or the device may not boot properly next time…

Example. To mount the full Public (standard MyCloud partitioning) directory in a chroot installed outside of the system partition (different from default example give in the guide):

Real location of files :                       Folder to be additionally accessible as “Public_Shares” in the root (/) of chroot:

/DataVolume/shares/Public            /DataVolume/shares/Public/programs/chroots/wheezy-armel/Public_Shares            none bind 0 0

red = root of chroot installation (place where chroot was installed and will be run from).

Result: the files will appear to Plex running within the chroot environment as residing in /Public_Shares. When adding a folder to a Plex library you will then indicate the location as /Public_Shares or /Public_Shares/Videos or whatever subfolders you may have there…

1 Like

Thanks guys, looks like I’m all set.

And thanks to everyone contributing to this thread :). I stumbled upon this thread by accident, and now my Mycloud is far more capable then it ever was before…

Keep it up!

olasptfc wrote:

Draken,

@Fox_exe - Regarding the loss of md0 → md127.   It appears that this happens when I do a apt-get dist-upgrade to jessie.   Any known problems with that?

Try this: 

mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

Ps:  https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup

I’ve done that already. 

To fix this on regular linux systems is to update-initramfs -u

However, this box doesn’t use that method of booting.

i,

thanks for the great work on this - really enjoying having actual ownership of the device!

I’m at all familiar with RAID, having never used it on my devices, so I don’t know if the messages I’m getting about ‘Degraded array events’  are anything to worry about, or if it’s just the way that the firmware partitions are set up.  I’ve got a 4TB Mycloud, so it’s one physical drive.

This is an automatically generated mail message from mdadm
running on MyCloud

A DegradedArray event had been detected on md device /dev/md1.

Faithfully yours, etc.

P.S. The /proc/mdstat file currently contains the following:

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sda1[0]
      1999808 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md0 : active raid1 sda2[1]
      1999808 blocks [2/1] [_U]

and a similar one for md0

This is an automatically generated mail message from mdadm
running on MyCloud

A DegradedArray event had been detected on md device /dev/md0.

Faithfully yours, etc.

P.S. The /proc/mdstat file currently contains the following:

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sda1[0]
      1999808 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md0 : active raid1 sda2[1]
      1999808 blocks [2/1] [_U]

unused devices: <none>

Is my drive faulty or can it be rectified or ignored?  Would really appreciate it if someone could give me a nudge in the right direction?

angriest wrote:

Is my drive faulty or can it be rectified or ignored?  Would really appreciate it if someone could give me a nudge in the right direction?

Ignore this.

Or fix it using “run_me_after_install.sh”

Fox_exe wrote:

Ignore this.

Or fix it using “run_me_after_install.sh”

Thanks!  Will redownload and run the script again.

Hi,

i am still struggling with plex media server

a) In most cases i am getting “Cannot load M3U8: No levels to play” error when playing a movie… Some  MP4 files is possible to play, however when i choose subtitles it stops playing. It looks like plex is trying to transcode the movies and embedd subtitles into movie. For mojarity of my movies and home made moviesiit does not work at all. I am wondering what frontent are you using to watch movies from plex server. Can the plex server recognize the frontent capabilties and can let the frontent to decode the movie? The mycloud CPU power is definitelly not capable of transcoding :frowning:

b) DLNA server in plex media server works for 10 movies. But for 500+ homemade videos it does not work at all. DLNA client after several minutes of loading gets timeout or some strange error. Tried on Playstation, wdmycloud, android UPNP client. Are results are the same.

I have tried various versions of Plex media server. 0.9.9.12, 0.9.11.4 and also something in the middle.

Result are the same. Although the plex media server looks nice i have no use for it. :frowning:

Any hints?

Thanks.

FYI1: My kinds are putting heavy load on DLNA server by watching cartoons on two different devices at the same time. Minidlna 1.1.4 (from jessie release) is not stable enough. They can bring it down one/twice per day.

Minidlna 1.0.24 (wheezy) works fine .

FYI2: grive (google drive free sync tool) also works fine via debootstrap (jessie)

hujanita wrote: “I am wondering what frontent are you using to watch movies from plex server. Can the plex server recognize the frontent capabilties and can let the frontent to decode the movie?”

On my side I  am mostly using  PLAYz Media (Plex client app) with an LG TV, 2013 model. PLAYz has an option to skip transcoding and use “direct play”. Everything but FLAC files (wich LGs do not seem to support) works fine. Subtitles are rendered by the TV.

Thanks for sharing your experience with MiniDLNA and Grive. Can’t say I ever tried to run more than one media file simultaneously…

Hello

Is there a way to get BTSYNC working with the clean debian version? or SyncThing?

ressof wrote:

Hello

Is there a way to get BTSYNC working with the clean debian version? or SyncThing?

All work good. Just download any arm version (armhf/armel/armv7l)

Hello,

First of all, many thanks to Fox_exe for his work!

I just want to know, if i want to use my WD with OMV, i should install clean debian or direct OMV1.0.23 img?

And, it is possible to upgrade easily to last version of OMV 1.5?

Thanks,

Mercutio

OMV_1.0.23.img = CleanDebian with preinstalled OMV. Just install it.

Фищге гзпкфву - I didn’t try, but everything has to be updated perfectly.

Thanks Fox_exe.

I just brick my WD :smiley:

I try the clean Debian, but i should have done smtg wrong.

So i’m trying the guide to unbrick, and i’ll do the trick with omv1.0.23

And for the update?