Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

I’m looking into netcat as well to help out, as well as making a “firmware” update package you can simply install from the WebGui.

Stay tuned for further developments…

There is a typo in Fox_exe’s instructions in order to create (customize) your own image.

mount -o loop -t ext3 rootfs.img /mnt
chmod chroot /mnt

As always, you should create first a copy of the rootfs image in case something gets damaged.

Yeah, sorry. My mistake.

And one more thing: loop device not present in WD’s kernel. But you can use normal PC, just add qemu library to mounted rootfs:

apt-get install qemu-user-static
cp /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /mnt/usr/bin/

Now - you can use chroot at normal PC.

Ps: My “fix” for long-load webgui added to OMV v1.0.19. No need to tuning/fixing.

I have clean debian + omv 1.0.xx. Also transmission-daemon using wdmycloud disk for download. Usb disk is only for data storage and samba share. Connecting usb disk to a pc and copying files using samba the speed is 20-30 Mb/s.

EDIT

hdparm -t /dev/sdb1

/dev/sdb1:
Timing buffered disk reads: 78 MB in 3.06 seconds = 25.48 MB/sec

But when i try to move data form wdmycloud to usb, using windows7 and cifs the speed is 4 MB/sec (1GB ethernet). With Official Firm i have not problems… Transfer speed was 20/25 MB…

@Fox_exe

installed Clean Debian and OMV, everything is working except the upgrade from Samba3 to Samba4.

I followed your guide but the upgrade killed samba. No access anymore and i must reflash clean debian.

Is there anything else i have to configure?

Is it possilble to configure a Standby mode like in the original fimware?

Thanks for your work

Schinschin

schinschin

For samba work - just reconfigure smb.conf and replace binaries.

But my bin’s compiled from WD’s sources and crashes sometime… (Unstable)

For configure suspend/sleep/standby modes - you can use any of manuals for Debian or Ubuntu.

But now - just increase save time for RamLog and Fake HW Clock utilities… And stop Transmission (or disable scrape for stopped torrents)

is it possible to install Plex Nas Server on Debian?

PEYMAN wrote:

is it possible to install Plex Nas Server on Debian?

I can’t enable Plex Media Server repository on the OMV, so I think it’s not possible. 

I tried also to install it manually, but there is no package available.

1 Like

Did you try to update your sources.list with your extra repo?  Check your repos? Is it listed therre?

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

If it is there did you update your repos?

apt-get update

Did it work or not?

This is how to add a repo and update…

>> /etc/apt/sources.list

echo deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Then add the repo in that you want the same way as above. Then  you will need to update all your packages.

apt-get update

I couldn’t find any armhf repository for Plex so I cannot test them.

All that I found have binaryes only for x86 machines.

Plex Media dont have ARM builds (Official).

But we can use binarys for raspberyPI or Cubieboard (Unofficial).

Go to google…

1 Like

First of all, thanks @Fox_exe for this procedure and all the great files.  I love it when there are open alternatives to hardware.

– Fox_exe, or anyone else that has installed this successfully.

I am trying to perform the clean Debian installation and having an issue getting started, I am comfortable in Linux but not an expert.  I understand the risk and am willing to take them, I just need a couple quesitons answered.

Do I:

A) Telnet into the MyCloud and perform all the steps there as shown in the ‘Howto create you own rootfs.txt’ file?

B) Or do I need to do this on another Linux installation then dd that over to the MyCloud device?

If I use the clean install (Howto create you own rootfs.txt) procedure on your Google Drive does that preserve my current firmware\linux installation and it is possible to switch back and forth between the two?  If not what is the best procedure to perform a backup for the current firmware, and easily restore if something goes sideways?

Lastly; is this still running well for those that have successfully installed this?  Any lingering issues that might be show stoppers?

Thanks,

–Jim

Hello again,

I am trying to find if there is any way to install the clean debian without open the case of my cloud.

I found this 

http://seagrief.co.uk/2010/02/installing-debian-via-ssh/

my knowledges to linux is very basic but i think that this way can be adopted to create a minimal debian system at the swap partition of the wd mycloud and then we can write the images that is provided to us from Fox_exe to the wd mycloud.

What are you thinking about this?

I think that the only minus is that you have to erase all the data in the system

Thank you

To jbets:

• SSH, not Telnet :smiley:
  • Yes. I build all in MyCloud. (Except kernel - need to many fixes in makefiles to compile in MyCloud)
  • I cant understand how works update in official .deb file (firmware). He makes md1 (2nd raid with 2nd partition), update hem… and just restart system… Something missing and i cant find what… So - i cant make .deb for easy install/upgrade.
  • You can install official firmware back. Use “Replace HDD - english.txt” instruction.
  • No need to build you own fw by instruction. I already make it. (Clean debian)
  • All works fine ~2 mounths (Latest OMV v1.0.21 on Clean debian). ~30 happy users (Include English and Russian).
  • One issue - need some tuning for samba (30MBps by default. Up to 70 after upgrade to v4 and tuning)

To 8anos:

I cnown better methods, include official FW update and one thing with RamFS…

But i lazy :smiley:

Can anyone please advise on the following?

ISSUE 1 - Whenever I issue an “halt -p” command the green led still stays on. I mean, after shutdown the green led stays ON.

Is anyone else experiencing this behaviour?

ISSUE 2 - While installing OMV (over debian clean 3) I end up with the below. This is likely related with me installing minidlna from SID prior :/ Minor problem.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 openmediavault : Depends: nfs-kernel-server but it is not going to be installed

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 nfs-kernel-server : Depends: libtirpc1 but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: nfs-common (= 1:1.2.6-4) but it is not going to be

I am very much an English speaker.

I have OMV running on my WD My Cloud.

Extract the package you will need the 3 files.  I just put them on the Desktop for ease of use.

It was pretty simple.

Remove the Drive from the enclouser.

You need a SATA to USB device.

Connect your drive via device to a linux computer.

What you  need to do now is dump the rootfs.img to /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2

This is done with the unix dd command, thought I prefer dc3dd it gives more feedback.  Here is an example

dd if=/root/Desktop/rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb1

dd if=/root/Desktop/rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb2

dd if=/root/Desktop/kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5

dd if=/root/Desktop/config.img of=/dev/sdb7 <— this is needed if you are using the OMV version other wise you won’t be able to login.

Then put your drive back together and boot it up.  Give it about a minute and you will see a green light.

Then you need to do a few things.

ssh via root@wddriveip

password: mycloud

passwd ← change your password

First change your language:

apt-get install fake-hwclock

dpkg-reconfigure locales

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Things should be in a more workable state.

Now just point to you WD Cloud’s IP address and you will load up the Web GUI.

User: admin

Password: mycloud

You may want to change the time in OMV also.

Now, here are the issues I am having and I hope someone can give some insight on this.  I am not able to modify the /etc/apt/sources.list the file is write protected unless I am root.  But this is very confusing because when I ssh into the drive I am root.  I need to change the sources from Russian to English.

zelint wrote:

Now, here are the issues I am having and I hope someone can give some insight on this.  I am not able to modify the /etc/apt/sources.list the file is write protected unless I am root.  But this is very confusing because when I ssh into the drive I am root.  I need to change the sources from Russian to English.

You can change the sources only before installing the OMV when starting with the Clean Debian image. After you install OMV the file will be locked and you need to use 

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/mysources.list

or any other name, but the file must be located in that directory.

hvalentim

1. There no LED control. Just set to green after turn on (see /etc/init.d/sysled.sh)
  2. Yeah, be careful with SID :smiley:

zelint

Try this:

chown root:root /etc/apt/sources.list
chmod 644 /etc/apt/sources.list

* Updated first post - more useful info.

1 Like

zlint wrote:

Running the commands below, I still wasn’t allowed to edit the sources.list file.

chown root:root /etc/apt/sources.list
chmod 644 /etc/apt/sources.list

I found a solution that worked for me for the issues of not being able to edit sources.list here:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/117535/cant-edit-sources-list-as-root

I ran this command to remove the immutible flag:

chattr -i /etc/apt/sources.list

After editing the sources.list file I ran:

chattr +i /etc/apt/sources.list
1 Like

Solution for collectd issue

Add the following line to /etc/hosts :

127.0.1.1       MyCloud.localdomain MyCloud

Tip from: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,13630

The absence of this line may eventually also explain some warnings I noticed saying something about the hostname not being properly set or so (forgot the exact messages) and an issue I had with the NAS not being properly recognized using name as address on my LAN.

1 Like