Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Hello, I bought a WD Home Cloud Duo thinking that was similar to the Home and changing the OS to Debian was posible and easy (But I was wrong), is not easy, but is posible. Thanks to the files of Fox_exe, and the work done by forth32 and godex on 4pda i am able to boot a basic version of debian and root the filesystem, now I need to find how to install Debian on the emmc (i´m very new at this, I don’t even know how to program, now i have free time so i trying to learn how to make the rootfs with the sources of wd). If someone need the info for rooting the cloud duo (at leat you can install Entware) i do the following (i´m not responsible if your nas stop working, i´m just sharing what I did with mine):

• I follow the instructions on how to put the original firmware on the hdd of the cloud home (in the files of Fox_exe, folder: WDMyCloud-Home) on 1 of the sata disks of the duo
  • I compile the sources of the kernel, modifying the dts for the pelican build to boot from sata (originally is configured to boot from the emmc, thats the reason why forth32 files doesn’t work on the duo)
  • I change de dtb file and the kernel image with mine, leaving bluecore.audio and the rootfs the same, and changing the names to add emmc instead of sata.
  • Put the files on a usb formatted with fat32 and plug the home duo with the reset button pushed
  • Now you are on a minimal debian, use telnet to connect to it and mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 on /mnt/config and /dev/mmcblk0p3 on /mnt/system_a (this is the system partition of the emmc)
  • You can follow the instruction to install entware using “rm” command to erase files and “vi” from busybox to edit files, so you gain root access through adb

PD: I only put the filesystem on one disk, but i don’t know why i cannot boot in the rescue mode if i dont have the 2 disks (doesn’t matter what you have on the other). And I don’t know for sure if you need the files on the home in your disk (I already have it because i was trying different approaches), you are free to try without copying the files.

My recovery files for usb drive: 19.83 MB folder on MEGA

Now if someone can help me on how to install debian i will appreciated, hope this is useful

PD2: I edited the instructions to make it a bit clearer (sorry my english is very bad).

3 Likes