Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

dsm-bootconfig.env, dsm-kernel.img, dsm-rootfs.tgz available on your USB key, yes, copy all files on hdd

cd /dev/sdd1
tar xvfz dsm-rootfs.tgz -C /tmp/hdd1
dd if=dsm-kernel.img of=/dev/sdb4
dd if=dsm-bootconfig.env of=/dev/sdb7

1 Like

thanks. Will try tomorrow. Out of curiosity, what’re you using OMV or DSM? which one you recommend. I messed up OMV with share folders and priviledges :rage:

Frankly, if dms5 was coupled with debian, I would have stayed on dsm5.But I prefer to return to debian + omv (debian see only), alot more flexible for what I want to do, and began omv is updated regularly, not dsm5.All depends on your needs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks man. You’ve been very helpful. I’ll give it a one more shot and will do some googling on shares + priviledge workings.

i have installed omv_2.0.2_Test.tar.gz on my Gen 1 and everything went smooth. did all the update and changed system from RU to EN. and when i looked at the LED light on the drive it’s white. is that normal ?

is there a way i can master reset or i there is a fast way i can reinstall omv ?

also is config.img needed when installing OMV ?

If you have access to omv interface, is that it’s good :slight_smile:
Of repositories are available, needs more of these files “omv_2.0.2_Test.tar.gz”
If you want the latest version (omv3 erasmus), install clean debian jessie and following this tutorial :

echo “deb Index of /public erasmus main” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
echo “127.0.1.1 MyCloud.localdomain MyCloud” >> /etc/hosts
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix apt-transport-https

apt-get update
apt-get install openmediavault
omv-initsystem
reboot

Images are available here to return to the basic firmware, the easiest and fastest, must unmount the drive :

Another interesting thing to avoid reinstall everything, make a backup of the sytem (from the SSH) :

dd if=/dev/sda of=/DataVolume/shares/Public/mycloud.img bs=1M count=5000

1 Like

Good to know thanks. So it makes back up of Jessie + OMV with all plugins which is my current system?

Yes, normally no problem, but personally I would advise you free backup plugins and then reinstall them.
OMV is capricious at times, I prefer to have a basic backup precaution.

I installed synology for wdmycloud gen 1, and have some problems:
-File copy speed over samba slow, just 20-30MB/s (tried samba v3,and v4) compared original wdmycloud speed, what is 80-100MB/s

• When I copy many files from wdmycloud, then after a while (10-15min) connection break, then I click the try again button in Windows, and after 3-4 try copying continues.
  • I installed tvheadend plugin from http://syno.dierkse.nl/, but I cannot enter tvheadend webuit at 9981 port, because ask me login/pass, but not accept what I gave at installing this plugin. The old one tvheadend from synocommunity I can enter, but not recognise my dvb-t sticks (supported by synology, and built in from kernel 2)

Possible fix this faults, or better to change to OMV?

DSM dont have patches from WD kernel (Because in Synology better CPU - 1.2GHz vs our 650MHz), so network and samba is a bit slow.
Note: I got from Samba up to 55MBps on Read operations (Large files).

About “freezes” when copy many small files - same problem - Wrong “tuning” of network, so driver just crashes (“Buffer overflow” errors).

I can’t fix this things because i dont have this device (I exchange my Gen1 to Gen2), and I am a little lazy :smiley:

And how perform OMV?
What firmware can achieve the original wd firmware speed?
From synology can i without reformat and wipe goes to omv?
For me not good when contact always crashes during copy :frowning:

I tried openmediavault.
Good, not berak connection when copying, transmission work as need.
But i cant install mysql plugin, always error have i.

And how can i switch ssh language to english?

Once again messed up my OMV setup. Yesterday couldn’t go past the login screen as it was in constant ‘loop’ despite using the correct credentials. df -h showed my rootfs was full!! I don’t know what happened but think it’s the syncthing. I thought I’ll try on my spare WD black 2TB and currently installing OMV on top of clean debian.

What’s the reason of rootfs being full? And how to avoid in future.

PS ■■■■ WD, the last attached plate on HD with 2 hex screws has different thread size than other 3.

For MySQL - Disable omv-extras, do apt-get update, install “mysql-server”, enable omv-extras, do apt-get update again, install MySQL-Plugin. Same for Minidlna or Transmission (If got errors). Its old bug. Still not fixed by omvextrass.org.

For switch system language - do as root:
dpkg-reconfigure locale (Or locales).

Alweys check paths (And logs / cahce folders) for all addition software.
For find biggest folders, got to root folder (“/”) and run:
du -sh * | sort -h
Go inside biggest (Last) folder and run this command again. Continue until you find something interesting (Cache folder, some sort of DataBase, Temp files, Donwloads etc…)

1 Like

And what is the better from omv with mycloud gen 1?

1.17, or 2.02test?

I tried again install, disable, uninstall omv-extras, and install with apt-get.
ssh informed me:
Unable to set password for the MySQL “root” user, and here’s the end the install:
Unpacking mysql-server (from …/mysql-server_5.5.52-0+deb7u1_all.deb) …
Processing triggers for man-db …
Setting up libmysqlclient18:armhf (5.5.52-0+deb7u1) …
Setting up libdbd-mysql-perl (4.021-1+deb7u2) …
Setting up mysql-client-5.5 (5.5.52-0+deb7u1) …
Setting up mysql-server-core-5.5 (5.5.52-0+deb7u1) …
Setting up mysql-server-5.5 (5.5.52-0+deb7u1) …
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
161111 10:30:58 [Warning] Using unique option prefix key_buffer instead of key_buffer_size is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use the full name instead.
161111 10:30:58 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 5.5.52-0+deb7u1) starting as process 5297 …
161111 10:30:58 [Warning] Using unique option prefix myisam-recover instead of myisam-recover-options is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use the full name instead.
161111 10:30:58 [Note] Plugin ‘FEDERATED’ is disabled.
161111 10:30:58 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
161111 10:30:58 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
161111 10:30:58 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.7
161111 10:30:58 InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
161111 10:30:58 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 128.0M
InnoDB: mmap(135987200 bytes) failed; errno 12
161111 10:30:58 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
161111 10:30:58 InnoDB: Fatal error: cannot allocate memory for the buffer pool
161111 10:30:58 [ERROR] Plugin ‘InnoDB’ init function returned error.
161111 10:30:58 [ERROR] Plugin ‘InnoDB’ registration as a STORAGE ENGINE failed.
161111 10:30:58 [ERROR] Unknown/unsupported storage engine: InnoDB
161111 10:30:58 [ERROR] Aborting

161111 10:30:58 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

Starting MySQL database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . . . . failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action “start” failed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.5 (–configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.5; however:
Package mysql-server-5.5 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing mysql-server (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
mysql-server-5.5
mysql-server
Creating index of upgradeable packages …
Creating index of OpenMediaVault plugins …
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I see an error: InnoDB can’t allocate 128MB. Edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf (Or similar MySQL Config) and decrease InnoDB buffer size (16-32MB good). Or disable Inoodb support completly.

OK, i write out 2.0.2 omv image, and from scratch make everything again.
With your settings /innodb, and double install/ everything seems installed.
Transmission working, but mysql when i try enable, and set up, says error happen at settings, but seems working.

I think, synology is a little better, but sadly this connection breaking not too good :frowning:

And with 2.0.2 installed these plugins, the following message is in ssh:
insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/…/rc0.d/K01wdled-boot
insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/…/rc1.d/K01wdled-init
insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/…/rc2.d/S03wdled-init
insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/…/rc3.d/S03wdled-init
insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/…/rc4.d/S03wdled-init
insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/…/rc5.d/S03wdled-init
insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/…/rc6.d/K01wdled-init
insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/…/rcS.d/S14wdled-boot

Looks like im in trouble again :frowning:
I set up everything, and decide im ready to use it normal.
I shut down via webui, build to box, and turn on.
The hdd powered up, the led light, but not became ip adress.
I tried restart router, but not help.
I cannot ssh, because not ask ip adress from my router.
Is any way to rescue it?
Or when i mount out the hdd, where can i find settings?
When i configure, at ethernet adapter i see 3 adapter, and i config just eth0.
Maybe the problem, i not delete the others?

I can telnet to wdmycloud, what need to configure ethernet?

Thanks Mr Fox :+1: and will do if had similar problem in future.

Your files, guides and info here is invaluable and once again very much appreciate all your efforts into putting all together.

Need enable “pfe” (Kernel module). Normally its autoload from /etc/modules, but not all time. Find a different way if it. (For check, run: lsmod, for load: modprobe pfe)

I have problems with plugin WordPress too…
Try disable omvextras aptget update install WordPress enable OMVextras apt-get update install WordPress plugin.
Work, but some time later freeze whole device.
Has some one fix for it?

Other:
Can I install tvheadend and oscam?
Thx