Choppy playback from NAS, Cache issue?

So, I’ve hooked up an apple time capsule as a wireless NAS in my house. It works perfectly. I get good transfer speeds, around 10 MB/s, so that should be plenty for streamning - which is good, since I have a bunch of video on it…

The thing is, although the Time Capsule shows up on my HUB, the streamning of video-files is very choppy.

I think I have pinpointed a possible problem; the HUB treats the NAS as a local source, and thus has no caching. This means that although the connection is way better than needed for the streaming, a slight bump in the wifi will cause choppiness…

Did anyone experince this, and found a possible solution?

thx!

I don’t have a time capsule, but I did a lot of testing on that type of thing a while back.

Depending on the bitrate of the movie, the WD does buffer about 3 to 15 seconds of video.

I tested this by streaming from my NAS, and then unplugging the network cable of the NAS during playback and timing how long it took to stop playback.

Thx for the reply - this clarifies a little bit. Since the buffering time is variable, I guess this means that the HUB caches a certain amount of data, say 10 MB or so, and depending on the files bitrate this makes 3-15 seconds…

I will do a little more testing, it could be related to the time capsule and not the HUB. Since I had problems with this from my macbook, using VLC, as well…

on to more testing…