CHKDSK gives same errors/ results as "faulty disk" after imaging to a new disk?

I had a Seagate 1TB HDD in my laptop, it got a bit small for my use so I’ve decided to upgrade the HDD.
I’ve bought myself a new WD 2TB HDD and I’ve tried to clone the old HDD to the new one using “Macrium Reflect”.

Direct cloning of the disks got stuck on a “error 9” all the time. Seems this could probably been caused by bad sectors or clusters on the HDD. And it was advised to check the HDD with CHKDSK. So I’ve ran CHKDSK to scan and “fix” the HDD (chkdsk d: /f /r).
CHKDSK resulted in 8KB of bad sectors in this scan and described some files which were being affected by this bad sectors on the old disk.

After this, cloning kept failing to the same “error 9”. So I’ve decided to make an image of the data of the “corrupted” HDD with Macrium Reflect instead.

I’ve imaged this image to the new WD HDD and it worked without problems.

But now it gives me the same results after checking the new HDD with CHKDSK. 8KB in bad sectors. Is this coincidence and is this HDD also faulty? Or is it some log that was stored on the old HDD, and now copied to the new one because of the image? So it actually thinks there are 8KB of bad data because it’s reading old log info?

If you do a Sector-by-Sector clone … then it will clone logical Bad Sectors from the Seagate HDD to the WD HDD.

A friend of mine had a similar problem… he ended up installing the new HDD and starting from scratch.

Thanks Joey!

I’ve deleted the system logs and after a quick scan it showed me 0 KB in bad sectors.

After I did a complete chhdsk scan again, but this time with the /r and /b flag. It took some time but it resulted in 0KB in bad sectors again.

So seems to be ok now.

Only when doing the same on the Seagate HDD, then it’s also resulting in 0 KB in bad sectors now. So not sure what to think about this now. Maybe I should try some other software instead of chkdsk.