Checklist before RMAing a WDD My Passport

Hello.

I’ve had some issues with a WDD My Passport USB 3.0 (WDBBEP0010BKK) that I was originally planning on making a thread for, namely write performance being very poor. My initial diagnosis  was a bad cable or connector, dropping write speeds to USB 2.0; SMART values were unchanged, any disk analysis I ran checked out.

However, in the process of copying data off the drive, something went haywire. Currently, it won’t complete any test in WD Drive Utilities. WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Quick Test halts a few seconds into the test with this: o7nj49[1].png

The extended test oddly enough ends with a pass. HDD Scan 1.3 gives me this sector overview: stat.jpg

Have I done my due dilligence here? Is the disk RMA-wortthy? Warranty expires in November 2014.

As a last troubleshooting step you can try to write zeros using DLG. If the problems continues after that replace it. Check the links below for the steps. 

How to low level format or write zeros (full erase) to a WD hard drive or Solid State drive

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty 

1 Like

I was afraid you’d said that, I started it just to get a notion of how long it would take. It takes a looong while.

I’ll do that, thanks.