Changed permission on files

i recently moved out an started useing a different computer for awhile an while i was useing the second computer i added music to my hard drive… now i have my first computer back an connected the hard drive up to it, but when i try to play music from it or add more files to it it says i dont have the permission to do that…

i’ve read all the “help” pages to find out how to change it but its still not permitting me to add move or use files from that folder any more

i created the file “music” with the first computer  added a few  cds then connected it to the second computer an added a few cds also. but now its not leting the first computer(the creator of the folder) to do anything with the files.

would like to get this fixed tried making a playlist on the zune but wont let me

thanks to who ever can help

If it’s Windows 7 try changing the share permissions try the whole drive and individual folders too. Windows 7 can be a bit cranky on sharing.

Joe

1 Like

i have vista 64 bit

i’ve changed permission of this comp on every file ived removed an readded ived dont everything i can think of an read so far haha i tryed finding the cd that came with it but cant find it anywhere

kk nevermind i figured it out ha 

i kinda have to go through each an every file 

1.right click on the file

1. click properties

3.click the tab that says “security”

4.click advanced

1. then click owner tab

2. click continue

3. should say  below current owner “unable to display current owner”

4. click on the name of your computer below 

9.click apply then a window will pop up just click ok

the next parts im not sure you will have to but i do so if the first nine still wont

let you use it continue on through these steps

10. continuing from step 4…click the tab permission

1. click add

2. then click the advanced button

3. click the find now button 

4. go through the list below an find the one with the name of  your account on the computer

5. click the user name then ok

16.you will return to the “select user or group” window

(you may have to check the name by clicking “check name” but

only if you have typed the account name in  manually)

17.then click “ok”

1. go through an click everything you want that account to be able to

do if all just check the box next to"full control" then click ok

(to add more then one user to the list you will have to repeat the steps 11 - 18

19 after your finished just click apply ok an go back to your file it should work

this is for anyone useing vista may also work with windows 7 but not sure dont have it

1 Like

Thanks fo posting back maybe it will help somebody else. Vista is pretty much like Windows 7 on the sharing stuff and they can be really annoying.

Joe