Changed NFS /etc/exports and lost all data!?!?!?!

I wanted to secure my device by putting more restrictions on the NFS access - rather than exporting just /nfs I changed it to export /nfs/storage, only one of my several shares.

When I rebooted the device, /nfs/storage was empty and all of my other shares were gone!!!  I changed it back to what it was initially and after a reboot, all of the folders for my various shares were back, but empty.  ALL OF MY DATA IS GONE!!!

That said, df -h shows that some of the data must be somewhere as 800 MB is unaccounted for:

df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 1.9G 712M 1.1G 39% /
/dev/root 1.9G 712M 1.1G 39% /
tmpfs 23M 332K 23M 2% /run
tmpfs 40M 4.0K 40M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/shm
tmpfs 100M 128K 100M 1% /tmp

Also, in the web interface see this critical issue:

Data volume failed to mount

The data volume on the drive is not accessible. Please contact customer service.

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:20:27 AM Code 0004                     

Try the 40-second reset described in the manual.

After several resets, restores, 40 second reset, etc. it still doesn’t work.  I paid closer attention though and realized that the system isn’t mounting the 4TB drive.  So the web dashboard says I only have 1.2GB of free space.

So, I logged in via ssh and mounted /dev/sda4 manually and voila, all of my data is actually there!  So, the next quesion is, why isn’t the system mounting the drive??  I don’t see it listed in /etc/fstab, but I presume that WD has their own way of doing this (gpt is new to me, hadn’t seen it before, and the fdisk on the device doesn’t seem to be able to inspect it internally either).

Does anyone have any clues?  Can someone check their fstab file? and see if sda4 is in there?

Thanks.

how did you mount it exactly? What command did you use?

Maybe it could not pass an fsck on bootup so it left it unmouted?  Perhaps check the logs?

I managed to finally get it to upgrade:

1. mount /dev/sda4 /DataVolume

2. mount -bind /DataVolume/cache /CacheVolume

3. updateFirmwareFromFile.sh sq-030302-165-20140123.deb

It took a while but it finally worked.  Then, on the next reboot everything was fine - sda4 mounted and all of my data was there.  After the next reboot, I now have the perpetually blinking white LED on the front.   So now i can’t do anything with it :frowning:

I really expect more from WD, this product seems to be so troubled…the number of reports of issues is astounding.

shtonut wrote:

I managed to finally get it to upgrade:

1. mount /dev/sda4 /DataVolume
  1. mount -bind /DataVolume/cache /CacheVolume
  1. updateFirmwareFromFile.sh sq-030302-165-20140123.deb

It took a while but it finally worked.  Then, on the next reboot everything was fine - sda4 mounted and all of my data was there.  After the next reboot, I now have the perpetually blinking white LED on the front.   So now i can’t do anything with it :frowning:

I really expect more from WD, this product seems to be so troubled…the number of reports of issues is astounding.

Blinking white LED is indicating that it is FSCK’ing the disk.   Give it a few hours.

Keep in mind, too, that problems didn’t happen until you modified the configuration…

yep, after a few hours it came back.

While I did modify the export list (to try to secure it a little further by restricting which folders were exported via nfs), I don’t think it was related.  I have seen enough posts that indicate that after upgrading to 3.0.1 that the next reboot caused a similar, if not the same, issue.  After I upgraded about a month ago I hadn’t rebooted since and this first reboot would likely have caused the issue regardless.