Changed device name not reflected in NAS Portal

I have several WD MyCloud devices on my NAS Portal so I can administer them all for my client. I recently changed the device name on one from the default name, WDMYCLOUD, to a new name, let’s say, “SampleNAS”.

Everything looks fine on that local network but the name is not being updated on the Portal. How would I do this?

Have you rebooted the My Cloud to see if that updated the device name change when accessing the device using the web portal?

You may have to contact WD Support (see the Support link top of page) directly to see if they can either remove the old entry from the web portal database or change the device name in the web portal database.

@jacker22
Have you looked at this for OS5?

My Cloud OS 5 Online User Manual (wdc.com)

Did you follow these instructions and Save? Click on, tap, or activate image to enlarge it.

Yes, on the device itself and on its local network the updated device name is appearing. It’s just not updating on the NAS Portal.

I did not reboot but the name change appeared successfully on the local network. I will reboot after business hours tonight. Thanks for the idea!

Nope, no joy. Rebooting the device does nothing.

And contacting WD Support resulted in them sending me a canned response describing how to change the device name in the admin UI.

What about turning off Cloud Services, for the user account experiencing the issue, within the My Cloud waiting a few minutes, then turning it back on.

Good idea, but no, no joy.

This is getting ridiculous!

Well, after a few (days and) hours, I am happy to report the device name finally updated itself on the NAS Portal. Not sure what I did that caused it but I’m just happy it did. I will make sure not to set up Cloud access until I have it named properly.