Change write access for guests

I think i have my answer but want to double check. 

my issue, i have family that acess my drive that can “accidently” delete files. I need to change all user rights to read only except for admin. is this possible without using a putty (ssh) application? or if this is the only way, any suggestions are apprecited

thank you.

Not for Guests, no.   “Public” access means that anyone can do anything.

If you want to restrict users to read-only, you need to assign specific users and give those users read-only access.

All of that is done via the UI.

Logically, I think that creating a folder for each user is pointless. The fact that WD has not enabled the admin to choose who has write access is stupid. Its a simple coding solution and it should be something that is installed in a new firmware version. As the admin for the drive, i should be able to choose who has what rights on a drive, public or private.

I should not have to go above and beyond to protect my data from users that might accidently delete the files.

Then you completely misunderstand how NAS’s work.

I think that creating a folder for each user is pointless.

… and unnecessary.  You don’t have to create a folder for each user. 

If you choose, you can create ONE SHARE, allow whatever users to access it, and set those users priveledges to READ ONLY.

The fact that WD has not enabled the admin to choose who has write access is stupid.

The admin CAN choose who has write access.  

I should not have to go above and beyond to protect my data from users that might accidently delete the files.

Uhm, have you read the manual?

1 Like

Then you completely misunderstand how NAS’s work.

I think that creating a folder for each user is pointless.

… and unnecessary.  You don’t have to create a folder for each user. 

If you choose, you can create ONE SHARE, allow whatever users to access it, and set those users priveledges to READ ONLY. 

-----> yes one share that is not public…since that is the only way to give read only rights.

The fact that WD has not enabled the admin to choose who has write access is stupid.

The admin CAN choose who has write access.  ------> only in a private shared folder

Uhm, have you read the manual?  —>  it should be similar to AD for windows based systems. Everyone is given permissions that are set by the admin.

what you are suggesting is a work around due to the flawed logic that is given with the MBL software

furthermore, there are many people who want a solution like this. There is no reason why WD cannot add in the script on a firmware update. It should not take users using putty or some other ssh to edit the software on the unit…

Just a few links to reference my point -

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Mobile-Apps/An-alternative-to-WD-Photos/td-p/571121

http://community.wd.com/t5/Software-Accessory-Ideas/WD-photo-app-enhancement-to-support-private-shares/idi-p/558060

steamboatwilly wrote:

Logically, I think that creating a folder for each user is pointless. The fact that WD has not enabled the admin to choose who has write access is stupid. Its a simple coding solution and it should be something that is installed in a new firmware version. As the admin for the drive, i should be able to choose who has what rights on a drive, public or private.

Actually your making things seem more complicated than they really are if you don’t want the public folder fine hide it ill post instructions below that will guide you, then make one share for everyone, and one user account (not to be confused with an admin account) you can then give that user account read only privileges to the share.

since you talked about ssh im assuming you already have it set up use your ssh credentials to log in via winscp. nfodiz showed this trick so all credit goes to him I’ve just modified it a bit.

Login to the MBL using WinSCP

1. Browse to /etc/samba

2. Right click and edit overall_share

3. Change to browseable = yes to browseable = no

See below

BEGIN ## sharename = Public

[Public]
path = /shares/Public
comment = Public Share
public = yes
browseable = no    
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
map read only = no

END

hit save and then close 

reboot your nas and client to refresh 

*note the wd apps will still write the photos in the public share but it will be hidden from the network to access it  you need to type the path “\MyBookLive\Public”.

Before you get to edit file option, I would recommend you play with the creation of users and shares as well as how to restrict access, RO and RW. It is simple and easy once you get the hand of it. No need to create one per user as well, just create one share and add users to it, each user can have different access as well for the same share.

Once you fully understand how that works, if that does not solves your issue, then go for it.

Now, not sure if you are also referring to Mobile apps, if you need those, there is no other option but the “public” folder as far as I know.