Change the drive format from FAT32 to NFTS

Hi

I have been using My Book for some time now to back up from my pc which uses Windows XP, and it has worked very well. Now I have recently aquired a laptop that has Windows 7 as its os, and it will only create a system image to an external hard drive that uses NTFS. I obviously want to use My Book to back up both pc’s.

My question is this. Using  Answer 287, should I follow the instruction for XP or that for W7?, or doesn’t it make any difference?

To back up the XP I use Power Quest Drive Image 7, which although not avaiilable any more, I think Norton bought them out, still does the job ok and I presume this will continue to work to NTFS?

cypriana

If the old backup program works on NTFS then just format the drive. If it needs FAT32 then you could partition the drive and format the new one NTFS. If you want one free program that will image both systems there is this http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en  I use the paid 2010 version. If you switch to this make the boot disk and test it first. I boot from the boot disk and make my image from there. I’ve restored Windows 7 in less than 15 min.

Joe

Thanks Joe for the reply. My Book is formatted FAT32 which my current backup program runs on. I wanted to know if it would continue to run if I changed to NFTS. I suppose I could change My Book to NFTS and if it failed then I would have to find another backup program?

Cypriana

You should be able to partition the external drive from Windows 7 but I’m not 100% sure with it being  FAT32. Do a web search on that. Shrink drive to what you need for XP say 50G and then reformat the other partition  NTFS. The link in my last post is a free backup program and would work for both systems.

Joe

1 Like

Hi Joe

My techinical expertise is fairly average so  is what you are saying is that you can partion a hard drive so that one part is formatted FAT32 and the ofther NFTS? .  If so I did not realise that could be done.

Cypriana

Yes, each partition can have a different type of formatting.

1 Like

Ok many thyanks for that