Change RAID type

I have a ex2100 and originally only had 1 WD red installed so the raid mode was set to JBOD, I now have a second WD red and would like to change to RAID 1; i’m sure I read somewhere that doing this would not erase the data on the original drive but when I have just gone in to do it, it states that all data will be erased!!

Can someone advise if everything will be erased?

1 Like

You sound like the kind of person who approaches a stop light and wonders if he really should stop!  If you get a warning it will get erased, then heed it!

phonics52 wrote:

I have a ex2100 and originally only had 1 WD red installed so the raid mode was set to JBOD, I now have a second WD red and would like to change to RAID 1; i’m sure I read somewhere that doing this would not erase the data on the original drive but when I have just gone in to do it, it states that all data will be erased!!

Can someone advise if everything will be erased?

Use the option to migrate from JBOD to RAID 1.  It will NOT erase your data.

I can confirm what jebusx said. If you switch from JBOD to RAID1 there are two options. I use the German version so the descriptions may vary but there is one called “migrate” and one other similar to “build new RAID”. If you choose to build a new one, both HDDs will be erased (don’t know how long it will take). If you choose “migrate” all data from HDD1 will be mirrored to HDD2. And, and that’s very time consuming, even sectors without data will be copied. I chose that (after copying data to an internal HDD for safety reasons) and the migration tool be about 12 hours (2x 8TB). All files are still on the HDD (now on both) :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies, in the end I backed up my data and went for the change RAID mode which did indeed wipe all my data.

I don’t see the option to migrate that you and megaheld mention, I go to Storage > RAID > under RAID Volume and I only have change RAID mode.

ok, then there’s no risk anymore. I hat 1 drive in JBOD-Mode and after inserting the second drive and a short time to let the NAS check it, I went to storage → raid → raid 1. There was an option to build a new RAID or migrate to RAID 1. Unfortunately I can’t take screenshots of it anymore because RAID 1 is already running and there is no option to switch to RAID1 anymore (of course not). But most likely the migration would have taken more time than to copy your data and format the drives :wink:

1 Like

Hello! I have an EX2100 with one 4TB drive configured as JBOD (and encrypted). After installing the second drive I can see it, but there’s no migrate to RAID 1 option, only switch. Should the second drive be pre-configured first for migration to RAID?

I have a problem creating JBOD to RAID1. I had RAID1 working before but I tried to format the disks. Since then I cannot convert any RAID but JBOD. Tried JBOD worked. From JBOD to raid fails all the time and shows both drives red light. The drives are OK. Any ideas? I am talking about two 2TB drves on My Cloud EX2 Ultra.