Change public share access to read only for public and full access to selected users

Mr_Khan wrote:

What i want is public to have read only access to file server. Public as in users who do not have a user account on mycloud. E.g someone who connects to to my home network for the first time and is able to browse and download content from public share. I’m aware of being able to set indivual access to shares for users like full access, read only and no access but public users won’t have a user account.

Through the My Cloud UI interface what you seek to do is not possible. The public share like all other share folders are an all or nothing affair when using the adminstration UI. When using the administration UI you do not have granular control on shared folders to limit non users to read only access or set permission levels for subfolders.

The workaround to do what you seek and have the public folder set for read only is to change the folder settings via SSH. It may take some work to set the folder security so that users can read/write to the public folder while the guests only have read access. However, if you reboot the WD My Cloud or update the WD My Cloud firmware those settings may be reset back to the default settings where the entire public folder is read/write for all. There are way to prevent this but again it will take a bit of coding to do so via SSH. See  this link (even though its for the WD My Book Live) for a starting point on how to use SSH to change the permission levels on the public folder.

Another option if one doesn’t go the SSH route is to turn off public sharing for the public folder then create a “guest” user account and give that “guest” account read only access to the public folder while all other user accounts have full read/write access.

2 Likes