Chain Of Fools

Kind of an interesting piece where the author started out with MS DOS 5 on a VMware machine and continually upgrades to Windows 7. Look at the lower video http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2011/03/a-chain-of-fools-updating-wind.php

Joe

1 Like

Wow!  Now that’s remeniscing!

I thought it was pretty interesting. I first began using 95 at work mainly to tansfer programs to CNC machine. Then I began to get interested in computers a little at a time. I never knew to much about the older versions of Windows. It’s pretty amazing that he could just keep upgrading them.

Joe

Brings back memories of weird times. I remember when DOS was still on ONE floppy(3.3?) and windows was on TWO?(2.0) I think I had a beta test copy of 3.0? then I hated that **bleep** windows 3.1, just didn’t make sense to have a GUI when I needed to remember all those DOS commands anyway. Finally the day came when I could build and install a whole system and even get to them remote at the blazing hot speed of 19.2Baud. And that $2500.00 computer with that huge 40 MG hard drive that I thought I would never fill.Wow, really am old!!!

I feel amazed. And indeed, it brings memories from a computer era that is long gone from our current lifestyles. It has evolved, it has changed for the better to some and for the worse to others, but it still keeps the same toll on us when we think on just how much we need computers in our lives. Watching that video I felt like watching a person grow from a toddler to an adult… And the future generation will do the same.

Amazing

Slicker’n[Deleted] on a shingle. I *still* have my boombox-sized 10 Megabyte hard disk. Weighs about 20 pounds and takes 15 seconds to spin-up. It has a burly-looking cable 1" in diameter + a separate AC power plug AND an interface card the size of an iPad.

Keith wrote:

Slicker’n[Deleted] on a shingle. I *still* have my boombox-sized 10 Megabyte hard disk. Weighs about 20 pounds and takes 15 seconds to spin-up. It has a burly-looking cable 1" in diameter + a separate AC power plug AND an interface card the size of an iPad.

They just don’t make 'em like they used to…