Chain Backups

Hello Forum Readers,

I am pretty sure there is a way to chain the start of one backup to the finish of another, but I cannot see it anywhere. IS this possible? On version 10.2.

Thanks

Hello,

WD Arkeia v10.2 allows the following chaining options in the WebUI:

* Backup to Disk and Chain to Tape Replication

* Backup to Disk and Chain to Cloud Replication

* Backup to Disk and Chain to Disk Replication

Chaining backup jobs is currently not supported.

However, WD Arkeia will perform parallel backups of all client machines included in the Savepack.

NOTE: The DA1300 unit is limited to 3 parallel client data streams at a time.

One solution would be to add both client machines in the same savepack and use the Savepack Tree Chaining Feature or decrease the number of flows per backup job to one in the Immediate or Scheduled backup job.

Limiting the flow to (1) per backup job will force a sequiental backup order of all client machines in the savepack.

My personal preference would be to use Savepack Chaining and Priorities to control the flow of data as required by your backup policy.

How To: Configure Priorities and Chains

Regards,

Samuel Brown

If you’re not afraid of the CLI, one option would be to use the Command After Savepack that calls a bash script and starts the next backup job.

EXAMPLE:

Command After Savepack:   backupserver.domain.com!file:/opt/arkeia/bin/start.backup.sh &

CREATE THE SCRIPT:

touch /opt/arkeia/bin/start.backup.sh

chmod 755 /opt/arkeia/bin/start.backup.sh

vi /opt/arkeia/bin/start.backup.sh

#!/bin/bash

sleep 30  # let the tape drive rewind if using tape - if not comment out

/opt/arkeia/bin/arkc -backup -start -D skname=[savepack name] plname=[tape pool name] dkname=[drivepack name]

exit 0

Samuel Brown

Thank you Samuel, very helpful.