Cause Freezing found! WD, PLEASE PUT THIS SITE BACK ON LINE ASAP!

This is what another smart guy found out:

It seems that WD took the site wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp offline. THIS IS CAUSING ALL THE (FREEZING) PROBLEMS OF FIRMWARES IN AT LEAST THE 2+ RANGE!

REMEDY:
Redirect in your router www.wdtvlive.com to 127.0.0.1 or block the access to the WDTV for this site and all should work properly again.

More specifick: block if possible http://www.wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp but that will be hard to do on most routers.

This solution is for experts with the right router only. Lots of people don’t have the knowledge to program their router…

SO:

SHAME ON WD, YOU CAUSED THIS PROBLEM BY TAKING THIS SITE OFF LINE! THIS IS CAUSING ALL OUR PROBLEMS WORLD-WIDE! PLEASE PUT THIS SITE BACK ON LINE AND GIVE US OUR BOXES BACK! NOW YOU HAVE THE SOLUTION, THIS CAN’T BE SO HARD OR BE IGNORED ANYMORE!!

8 Likes

Ok, i am testing it and will give you a reply on this.

can’t wait!

LOL :joy:
Your emphasis made me smile.
Well said FlyingDutchmann !!! SHAME ON YOU WD !!!
:smirk:

Very cool that the cause was found.

Hopefully WD will see this but sadly I don’t think they care about the product anymore.

Maybe someone could send the message of this thread directly to WD support?

I’m on 2.01.86 and have no probs with freezing or streaming from apps.

Sad to report but, even if this is the ultimate cause, the fix didn’t work for me. I had been running 2.01.86 for over a week now, and had no freezing but the annoying username/password bug for network shares, so I was excited to try this fix and re-upgraded back to 2.02.32 to try it. I tried blocking access to the wdtvlive.com domain and also all internet traffic at the router. I left the device idle for a while and came back to find it locked up and unresponsive to the remote. The script cited http://www.wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp shows up in my browser with a scripting error, but the page does exist. I wonder if even when blocking access to this domain, the device is still trying to access it over and over. Have others had success with this fix? I haven’t tried setting the DNS manually. Can you do that if you’re wireless? I didn’t see any option to change anything unless you have a wired connection. Although, I don’t see how that’s any different than blocking from the router.

I could not try it myselve, because I don’t know how to set this up in my router.

Isn’t it great that WD gives us two choices??? Either you can choose for freezing with the latest software, or have password problems with file sharing by rolling back.
WD really cares for their customers by giving us such great possibilities!

it didnt worked for me either, I blocked and redirected the sites, but it freezed again… sadly :frowning:

I only applied blocking in my router, no freezes after 2 days. Seems to be working up to now. According to the router’s log file, the player tries over and over to connect to wdtv live.com

thank’s for the fix.

Well, if this is true then it is very bad programming and it is beter tot bring out a new firmware then bring this page back online.

What I heard, there will be no more firmware updates; which blows! I figured something like that was occurring which is why I just turned off the internet for the device. I just use it as an internal device anyway. This is really disappointing as they should really do their due diligence in supporting these products. However, I feel they could care less.

My freezing issues stopped the second I blocked the device from accessing the internet. Downgrading the device also removes what I call the miracast memory leak, which was causing the low memory issues. I did that this weekend and the device is much snappier. I have a tomato router that could block this website all together, but who knows how many alternative websites it is trying to locate, so I will take the high road.

Thank you for letting us know what the culprit was, makes me feel so much better that it wasn’t anything I introduced to my network.

-------------UPDATE ---------------------

Still no freezes after 4 full days. The unit tries to connect to wdtlive.com about 10,000 times a day.
I also received the famous low memory screen message but did not care about it. I did not powered down the unit and it did not freeze at all.
These are good results, for now

Some people reported the unit is also faster and more responsive after a downgrade. Is this also true after blocking the website?

Hum… I blocked http://www.wdtvlive.com in my router and I am still freezing every 15 minutes or so.

Reverting to the previous firmware worked for me

@steve_gonoles
And do you think it’s faster than before ?
Do you know if the unit tries to connect to wdtvlive.com ?

For me worked 2 ways:

1. Rollback to Firmware 2.0.1.86 or
  2. Setting the DNS from my WDTV Live to 127.0.0.1 by using Firmware 2.02.32

Thats it!

Greetinx from Germany

@kilgore72 - How long ago did you set the block? What happens if you remove the block now? Does it still freeze?

I just checked with Firefox on my PC, www.wdtvlive.com is up. Does this mean I can upgrade the firmware to 2.02?

EDIT: Upgraded and the system froze within 15 minutes. Downgraded, all is well again.