Category backup! are you kidding! What were you thinking?

Hi,

The thought of having a category back is great. Would like to have other categories like finance or create your own categories like downloaded executables etc.

But the implementation is USELESS. WORTHLESS. Not sure what was the team thinking.

I did a category back up. After that what do I want to do? I want to get access to my pictures or audio files. There is no way in **bleep** I can do that? What is the use of doing a category back up if I cannot have access to it. 

I searched on the drive for it as I network mounted? Can’t locate it? You should be kidding. Its a great idea but wrong implementation. 

I wanted to go further, I wanted to consolidate all the pictures, movies across all my computers. In each computer its all in different folder. I want to consolidate. If I can do all category backups of all computer then network mount my drive. I should have access to all my files.

Wake up guys. Think from user side not from business side. 

WHY WOULD SOMEBODY DO CATEGORY BACK UP ONLY TO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO IT. REGULAR BACKUP DOES THE SAME. 

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO MY PERSONAL HOME CLOUD. I AM TRYING TO BACKUP/CREATE CLOUD SO THAT I CAN ASSESS IT FROM ANYWHERE, ANYOS, ANYPC AND ANYTIME. 

THIS IS THE THIRD EDIT. YOU CAN IMAGINE MY FRUSTRATION IN THIS DAY AND AGE ON PROPRIETARY. I JUST SAW A POSTING THAT IT IS STORED IN SMARTWARE MOUNT. 

THIS PROPRIETARY THING YOU GUYS CREATED, CANNOT BE ACCESSED BY MY ITUNES, MEDIA PLAYER, PHOTO VIEWER. I CANNOT BEAM IT TO MY TV WITHOUT CONVOLUTED WAY OF DOING IT. 

FRUSTRATED

Whoa.  You’re confusing yourself.

A Backup is just that – a Backup.   Having raw access to the files backed up is meaningless.

All quality backup programs (Norton Ghost / Avast / etc) store the files as proprietary bundles.  

What you want to do is move the files around yourself…  That is NOT a backup.

You’re not wanting a backup, you’re just wanting duplicate copies.  

I think this is the older version of WD’s Smartware?  Download the updated version of SmartWare.  Unfortunatly the update has never worked for me because it keeps on crashing when I tried.  I also didn’t use SmartWare because it only offered me the facility to backup file categories and didn’t give me the option to backup exactly what I wanted.

yes, the most recent version of smartware offers you the ability to check which specific folders and files you want backed up.

But as tony said, any backup using smartware goes to a hidden folder where it’s not supposed to be messed with unless you need it restored to a PC.

If you want files copied to an accessible share, where any PC or dnla device can access and read it, you’ll want to use some other file copying utility.