Capacity Free Fluctuating

Have a PR4100, 4x2TB Drive in each bay, (raid 5 6TB) Upgraded to OS5 5.03.103 recently and noticed that the capacity figure (GB free) in the local dashboard is fluctuating daily, sometimes up 20-30GB difference and i have not deleted or added anything new to the system. In addition the ios app gives a free space capacity which is totally differently (upto 60-70GB difference) to the figure appearing on the dashboard. As a result I am receiving warnings that the device is nearing capacity, which it is not.
Anyone else having the same problem?

@Captain100 Thanks for your feedback.
Please let us know

1. Is the indexing on your device done after updating to My Cloud OS 5?

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29836/

1. Is that capacity increasing or decreasing?
    If it is just increasing it means the indexing is not yet done and the device is keep indexing the content.

Regarding the discrepancy of the capacity on iOS and dashboard (Admin UI), We will report it to the engineering team.

Thanks

Hi, Thanks for getting back, the message regarding indexing in progress was showing when i updated to OS5 but after a few hours the message had gone and has not reappeared.
The spare capacity is decreasing, i have attached a few screenshots of the dashboard which demonstrate this, plus ios app screenshots taken at the same time which show the discrepancy in the spare capacity. I have not used the NAS with the exception of logging in a few times a day to monitor any issues, no files have been added or removed, with that in mind where is all my spare drive space going?

@Captain100 Do you have any Auto backup setup on your device/Mobile App?
Or is there any other backup job is going on?

On this NAS I have about 6000 Photographs and about 1000 mp4 videos, the only app I have on there is the anti virus and I run that manually. As at time of writing free space has now decreased to 190GB. I have backed up the data to another NAS and turned the PR4100 off as something isnt right here.

Hi there,

I can also confirm this is now happening to me. Indexing finished last night, however the drive sounds like it’s writing. Checked my iOS app & auto back up is off. No bother back up is happening, however I had 300GB left out of 4TB I now have 204GB left & it’s going down every so often with nothing being added etc to the drive

I have tried a restart of the drive, but it definitely is g quite it sounds like it’s writing something as it’s the same sound it’s making when I’m copying files.

Fitter update for you.

The cloud bit says it’s connected as it was after a few hours yesterday doing the indexing.

Now I have just disabled the cloud bit in the settings & the writing noise had disappeared completely and the drive is stable like it used to be prior to version 5 upgrade. I can’t access the files remotely now on the iOS app though.

Switched it back on & the writing sound starts again despite the cloud saying connected & no longer indexing. Think there is a problem with the constant indexing as it’s using more space every now & then & I know I had much more when started.

I’m going to have to turn cloud off otherwise I’ll have no space left. This is definitely not right.

@emirb351 can you check the size of your index?

1. Enable SSH
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26497
  1. Login as user sshd and your SSH password

2. Copy and past the following command to check your available disk space

df -h

3. Copy and paste the following command to check your index size and see if it is still growing or has stopped.

du -sh -c /mnt/HD/HD_a2/restsdk-data/data/*

Hi there I have work this morning so I will try & do it tonight & report back I have disabled the cloud setting as it seems to keep taking more drive space.

Is there anything you can do remotely while I’m at work? Emir

Hi there.

I have enabled SSH but can’t find anywhere to paste the link you gave me. I went to configure SSH & typed in my password but nothing happening. Is there anyway you can now remote connect to my drive I am losing GB of data by the hour for no reason & I am badly running out of space. I have had to disable the cloud access which isn’t idea to be honest.

@emirb351 I’ve forward your request to WD Technical Support. Someone will be contacting you shortly.

@Captain100 @emirb351 I also experienced this issue while I was dealing the ffmpeg question (Runaway ffmpeg process usage after MyCloud5 upgrade - #12 by arm3n) - see my last update to how I’ve addressed it as a workaround. My capacity hasn’t fluctuated since.

1 Like