Can't update WD Media player per WD instructions

I have a WD media player (8 to 10 year old) and have downloaded the updates onto my computer and hooked up the media player to my computer, but it doesn’t seem to recognize it and won’t update. I also downloaded to a portable hard drive and tried to open the file on the media player, but again no luck, Any ideas, how to make this work?

Are you SURE you have the correct firmware for YOUR MODEL WDTV player?

PS for above: the media player is not supposed to be connected to a computer! It should be connected to a TV and you go through the firmware update command on WDTV menu, and the WDTV will find the correct FW and install it. Is this the first time you ever updated the FW?

1 Like

Just a thought, wonder if Larry has got the update files showing incorrectly on the USB drive?

None of the models produced 8-10 years ago have any form of network connectivity.

The first that did that was the WD TV Live, which came out in 2009, so too “young” to fit the 8-10 year age.

Go here: Legacy Products

… and expand the WD Elements & WD TV section. Find your model (the older ones are a the bottom). Check the version of firmware available for download against the one already installed on your unit.

If newer firmware is available, the instructions for installing the firmware are located in the same place on that website.

1 Like

Thanks Tony for that info.