Can't Stream MKV at all

I connect to my PC through the Media Server option.

I can stream dvix ect. However when I click on an MKV, it says the format is not supported. However I can play the exact same files on a usb drive attached to the device.

Using Windows 7 and have the device attached over a wireless network.

I’m not really sure what my best approach would be to resolve this.

I can stream mkv from the hub to my PC though.

Grinspoon wrote:

I connect to my PC through the Media Server option.

I can stream dvix ect. However when I click on an MKV, it says the format is not supported. However I can play the exact same files on a usb drive attached to the device.

Using Windows 7 and have the device attached over a wireless network.

I’m not really sure what my best approach would be to resolve this.

I can stream mkv from the hub to my PC though.

Well Microsoft doesn´t like mkv container, coz they are pushing avi and wmv :frowning:
try just regular shareing

Ah ok, yeah I still can’t get the network share working. Win7 64bit.

Any other good media sharing programs you can suggest?

I have the same problem playing .mkv files on my Win XP SP3 PC over a wireless router connection. 

Other files play OK, but .mkv files are not supported.  

Even if  WIndows doesn’t like .mkv, why does WD claim this extension is supported?

I did not yet try with a USB stick, but I don’t want to do that every time.

Alos, plays DVD files in a VIDEO_TS folder stored on a hard drive, but the playback is very rough and intermittent.  It behaves like a wireless network issue here, but the router is about 10 feet awat and I get four bars on the WD signal strength indicator.

AVI files play great!

Anyone have any ideas?

Other files play OK, but .mkv files are not supported.  

Even if  WIndows doesn’t like .mkv, why does WD claim this extension is supported?

• *Because it IS supported. If your media server does NOT support it, then the WD doesn’t even get to try.

What program are you using to create these MKV files? I use Pavtube’s ByteCopy and my MKVs play without issue on the Hub and my PC.