Can't see the WDMYCloud under Network in windows 8.1 pro

I have 2 machines 1 laptop and 1 desktop both running win8.1 pro.

I was able to setup everything correctly on the laptop and i can see the WDMyuCloud under Network tab in the explorer.

And I can map the drives too. 

On the desktop upon installing, the inital scanning already mentioned some problems like "we’ve detected that you may not eb able to:

1 Copy files to or from the device

2 Browse the device’s shared folders

3 Map a shared folder

I can’t see the WDMYCloud under network in the windows explorer, but I CAN access it no probelm via the wd my cloud software and the dashboard no problem too.

But i really just want to use plain windows explorer to access as a network drive other than going through the software.

Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thank you.

P.S Both computers are newly setup with identical configuration on firewalls, windows defender etc.

make sure discovery is on… 

1. control panel

2. network and sharing Centre

3. Advance Sharing settings

4. turn on network discovery

also make sure you are in the same “workgroup” network name. By default under windows it is called workgroup,

You can change it 

1. control panel

2. click on system icon

3. click on advance system settings

4. click on change settings

5. click on the tab computer name

6. click on change

7. edit the workgroup name and make sure it matches your other computer that seems to find the shares.

hope that helps.

Hi,

it’s my way too by Win 8.

But first time after Update. Before i have seen every time my MC under network-folder. All the same settings before i have Update.

Whats wrong?

Thanks for the suggestions. Those were the first things i checked too and they are all correct. 

Both computer have the same settings and one work the other doesn;t…

milkshake wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Those were the first things i checked too and they are all correct. 

Both computer have the same settings and one work the other doesn;t…

firewall? check ip and subnet mask (same as cloud except last set of digits of ip)? that is all I can think of atm

Type \wdmycloud in the address bar of Windows file explorer or install WD Quick View and use that to open in File Explorer

yes they are within the same ranage and same mask.

that doesn’t work either. 

thanks for everyone’s help.

I can see WDMyCloud in my windows media player through the DLNA thing. 

Also via WD My Cloud app. Just not the explorer.

Hi,

my MC Icon is back in the explorer Windows under network. I don’t know how… i don’t Know why…:dizzy_face:

But it’s back - and tha’s my solution. Perhaps … a little more gaming on the dashboard switch (media-Server, shut down …etc.) like i’ve done. And a little piece of luck … 

Lucky:wink:

thanks for the suggestion. i tried to randomly play around too but no help.